Re: The Sellout thread

> I can see how buyouts, like Warner-SubPop, and Columbia/Sony-Matador, but
> I really have trouble believing that distribution affects the artistic
> aspirations of a label...

In the case of Sub Pop, the only implication of Warner buying the
company was that Sub Pop now had money to do more stuff, but they
were never forced to conform. In fact, when the word from the offices
was to release Eric's Trip "Soon, coming closer" in remixed form as
the first single from "Purple Blue", at the insistence of the band
(or Rick, depending from whom you hear the story), it was vetoed and
"Sun Coming Up" was chosen instead. Apparently, the word from Sub Pop
was "We're not gonna force you, we just think that 'Soon, coming
closer' could really sell albums for you guys, but if you don't want
to, that's cool."

If most labels buy indie labels, but leave the indie labels to their
own business, there's really no difference at all, apart from the
major labels making more money.

Ah, well,
Glen (aka Barney Rubble)