Re: Cafe Ole

Victor Canales <ah109\!/chebucto.ns.ca> had this to say about Cafe Ole

}It's interesting that no one has metioned the fact that Cafe Ole is
}closing down in a few weeks. Maybe I'm the only one that goes there.
}Anyways, If you didn't know, rumor has it that the new Neptune threatened
}to take the guy who ownes the building to court. I guess Cafe Ole was too
}noisy for them, and they didn't like the "kids" hanging around.

There is a reasonably informative story at NovaNewsNet
(www.ukings.ns.ca/nnn/nnn.html) on this, but it really plays up this
rumour.  The "truth" is that Urban Sound Exchange owns the space and
wants it for storage, so they've given Condon et al. notice for the
end of the month.  The "rumour" is that Neptune, who have been
complaining since their megabucks renovations about the noise coming
in through their fire exits, put the squeeze on USC to do so.

Of
}course, me being under 19, I have no idea where I'm going to see any live
}entertainment after it closes. Sure, there are all-ages shows, but none
}on a regular basis, at a steady venue.

They're looking at new spaces, but likely in the Gottingen area, and
that's of course considered less "safe" for underage kids.  Then
again, the Playhouse is in that neighbourhood, no word on whether
they'll be booking the Cafe Ole's regular lineup at least in the
short term.

If anyone's interested, there are
}some petitions going around, you could probably sign one at Cafe Ole.

I'd suggest boycotting USC, but I've never shopped there anyway.

The
}last show is on the 30th, I think the Chitz might be playing, nothing is
}confirmed yet. You might as well go while you still can.

The lineup might be on the website, I haven't looked.  Ironically,
one of the bands, booked a month in advance, is Maximum
Disappointment.