HoM, some Plumtree stuff too

hey y'all :)

since i've been whining and complaining for people to post their reviews
of the Pop Ex/HoM for the last few years, it's only fair that i say
something about the festival myself :)  But i'm going to be slightly
vague since i'm saving the good stuff for my zine :)

In general, i wasn't very familiar with most acts i saw.  But i was
impressed with about 80% of them.  Hurray!  Good stuff from State Champs
(new CD EP available), Syrup USA, Lady Bug Transistor, Yo La Tengo (VERY
impressed, esp since i'm unfamiliar with them), Vees, Rascalz, Deadly
Snakes, Julie Doiron and Number One Cup.

Saw the bittersweet end to Rebecca West.  They ended with a cover, where
the chorus contained words along the lines of "you don't need to worry
about me anymore", and the tempo was slower.  Song ends, Alison gives
Lucas a big hug.  *sniff*

I also really, really liked the Inbreds' set.  They played really well,
and the new songs sound fantastic!!  Their "light show" was cool too :)

Being a kid from Ontario, i totally dug Sloan's set :)  heehee.  I am so
proud of the kids from Halifax - band members step on the stage, the
crowd does not go wild.  Band starts playing, the kids DID NOT mosh.  The
new songs kinda reminded me of 70s-ish rock, slightly blues-tinged.  i
liked it.....  Besides, Jay was totally on the ball during that set.  And
it was nice to see Andrew singing from behind the drumkit.

Non-official HoM event of Piggy playing at Dio Mio on Friday
night/Saturday morning could be my fave show of the weekend :)  Fun fun fun!

Festivities ended at Cafe Mokka with Soaking Up Jagged (Chuck Austin on
geetar.  He looks different when playing guitar.  Seriously.  Band is
pretty good, except frontman lacking stage presence), and the Flashing
Lights (Matt Murphy strangely dressed.  Whuzzup wit dat?  But it was fun
for all on the dance floor :) ).

Plumtree stuff...

oh, i also saw them at HoM at Cafe Ole.  What a scary place!  It's on the
second floor of a building, and there were kids moshing and the floor was
bouncing as well!!!!!  Ahhhh!!  I seriously thought i was going to die!
But they played well :)

Anyhoo, their CD _Predicts the Future_ is available in Halifax, but the
rest of the country has to wait until the 5th.  A quick revie:  since I've
seen Plumtree a lot in the last year, i was familiar with most of the
songs.  They're much more rockin' (louder?) and less poppier sounding
than on _Mass Teen Fainting_.  The songs also sound rawer somehow.
Re-recorded versions of "Fatherhood" and "Scott Pilgrim" (I like the 7"
versions better).  I can't stop listening to this CD :)

Also, after the Wooden Stars' set at Wormwoods on Saturday, they played
the video for "Scott Pilgrim".  Request it ASAP!!  It's cute (Carla and
Amanda standing around singing the song in some frames) and funny (split
into two cars racing one another.  Check out the bad-ass attitude! ;) ).
A must see!!!!!

Don't even get me started on the Super Friendz...

				...sizzle teen

p.s.  someone posted Thrush Hermit tour dates.  One show that was missing
is an ALL-AGES matinee show in Waterloo on October 11 (same day as
London!?!?!).  I (finally!) have more info, so contact me if you haven't
all ready and want it :)

---
      carol nishitoba  :)   3B E.R.S., co-op   ccnishit\!/fes.uwaterloo.ca
         http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/2563/sfzmain.html
                Poster Girl Records & _in the meantime..._ zine