first reports from HOM

Its 5am, my hand is a bruise of entrance stamps. Saw the Rome Plows at
reflections (missed Soaking Up Jagged, C. Austin now playing guitar?...
performance schedule had been advanced 1/2 an hr). Lots of shouts of
"take off your shirt" (cbc was taping), jazzy(instrumental)/angry(vocal),
lots of boys bobbing their heads. Syrup USA at blues corner- spacey
sounds for the 60s style glasses set. Seemingly young & sweet. Polyester
pantsuit carried off well. Guy next to me danced expressively. Only 1
dissonant song (at the end). Hate to admit it, kind of liked copyright.
Arrogant & bitter? Its those striped RCMP pants.
  Thrush Hermit rocked vibrantly. Rob wore a cop hat & Ian sported a garish
orange tank top, accented perfectly by the flash of the rock and roll
sign (in the mirror behind them too, this was at, uh, reflections). North
Dakota & Claim to lame among the standards. New songs with strong hooks.
Lots of fun with Nico Case at blues corner. Leather dress. Band &
audience members alike sported cowboy hats. At 1 pt, nico sat on lil
orton's back as he tried to climb into the drum kit(?). 10cent wings
fairly subdued. henri fr euphonic played bass.  The Grifters (refl.) did
a very long set, took requests for the encore (2 really amazing songs...
I don't really know much about them)... apparently they did mostly songs
fr their last lp (not their latest?), which surprised someone I know who
knows more about them.
  Afterhours at Dio Mio, Piggy & special effects (dancing bears?- one was
pink & green), lots of fun, dance contest, fairly small.

tired already, k

PS instores tomorrow? heard number 1 cup. true?
PPS john bartlett is here. he's moving to TO on wed.