Re: So young, so... ignorant

>>I don't know what you do all day besides posting messages to Sloan Net, but
>>if you love music--which I assume you do--you really owe it to yourself to
>>listen to something other than current indie rock. Calling a soundtrack
>>"horrible" that includes Brenda Lee, The Ink Spots, Shane MacGowan, Evan
>>Lurie and The Mills Brothers, plus the classic "I've Been Hurt," makes me
>>wonder about your musical education.
>
>Isn't it a bit absurd to assume that everyone who has heard these bands
>likes them? Just because you like them doesn't mean those who don't are
>"uneducated". I don't what _you_ do all day, but it can't be much if you
>have no better use for your time than insulting all us ignoramuses with
>your oh so worldly ways.

        No, i don't think you're getting her point.  You can't deny that in
general, a lot of indie rock kids have the mindset that other genres of
music are square and thus automatically not worth listening to.  Really, for
a person to brag about their appreciation for jazz by mentioning tortoise
and the rachels is pretty insulting to anyone who actually knows anything
about real jazz (not that there's anything wrong with tortoise or the
rachels -- they're both great, but they're not real jazz music).  Don't be
so defensive, maybe it would do you good to stray out of the indie rock
field....

-elizabeth