Re: So young, so... ignorant

hi

>I don't know what you do all day besides posting messages to Sloan Net, but
>if you love music--which I assume you do--you really owe it to yourself to
>listen to something other than current indie rock. Calling a soundtrack
>"horrible" that includes Brenda Lee, The Ink Spots, Shane MacGowan, Evan
>Lurie and The Mills Brothers, plus the classic "I've Been Hurt," makes me
>wonder about your musical education. And calling all this music "jazz and
>swing" just makes me wonder more. Do you think pop was invented in Halifax,
>or Liverpool for that matter? Do yourself a favour and open your ears and
>your mind!

i'm not writing this to defend anyone in particular but I think that instead
of admonishing *everyone* on sloannet for being so inept about our musical
knowledge you should consider explaining the differences between the styles
of music so that people can actually learn something rather than simply
feeling completely inadequate against your wide breadth of knowledge. in
terms of musical education, or our lack thereof, perhaps you should be
directing your concerns to a level higher than the gods of sloannet.  I know
for a fact that my old highschool's music department has suffered severe
cutbacks due to the education cuts.

alex(*)
alexandra                  sarah                          mlynek

       This week:  Square dancing competitions,           ^
        Scoring is based on the following criteria:           ^
        *  Attitude and spirit                        ^
        *  Overall effect, audience appeal, exit           ^
        *  Accuracy & knowledge, responsiveness to caller
        *  Uniformity, style, dress, neatness.

        amlynek\!/interlog.com