Re: mediocrity loves company

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Robert Martin Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 1996 LNUSCIM.JZZFR1\!/eds.com wrote:
>
> > It seems like the whole teen angst thing
> > has turned into a parody and no longer seems honest.  When Kurt Cobain
> > screamed it seemed honest.  But when Billy Corgan sings "God is empty, just
> > like me" (credit to Gina for that example) or Trent Reznor (whose first
> > album was good, I will admit) whines about pain or sadness or whatever
> > his recent songs have been about, it just seems like a big put-on with the
> > objective being to sell misery.
>
> 	What is even worse than corporate depression-rock is the
> brainless indie-bubblegum that mediocre Canadian independent bands (some
> from Halifax, most from Ontario) are putting out right now. I prefer
> hearing overboard angst to listening to bland, non-threatening songs about
> 1980's pop culture and puppy love.  I'm not sure exactly when the Canadian
> indie scene turned into Revenge of the Immature Nerds, but I know all this
> happiness and sappiness can't be healthy.
> 	Thank God for bands like Rebecca West and Rome Plows who aren't
> afraid to make serious music.

Excuse me, but some of us actually like that kind of music.  I think a
great deal of good music is coming out of Ontario, especially things on
Bubblegun Records!  Music is there to have fun with as well as promoting
serious ideas, so lets not shun bands because they're having fun!!!!
 Love,
Mariam

            "I'm gonna need shitloads of money"
            "Don't be so in love with yourself