Re: SO why is Sloan not popular in the States?

Gina done said:

> And Dale, I think, mentioned that there are and will always be good American
> bands.  While there DOES seem to be a huge drought right now, I agree with him.
> Live is one of the most enjoyable, thought-provoking, creative...BEST bands
> around (just wait 'til February).  And there are indie bands here, too.  There
> are indie bands everywhere.  That's where some (most) of the best music out
> right now comes from.

What I shoulda said is: there are and always will be good American bands. Also
Canadian bands. And Australian bands. And English bands. etc...

I have not heard a new English band I've been crazy about in a long, long time.
But I bet there are some great English bands that I don't get to hear 'cause I'm
in Ohio and they're on the other side of the pond and the stuff that makes it over
here tends to be overhyped "best band ever" type bands.

And vice-versa, natch. I'm sure there are cool bands here that they haven't heard
of.

Prior to my becoming a Sloan fan I would have been hard-pressed to name any cool
Canadian bands (except DOA), but I'll betcha there have been plenty.

I think there's good music everywhere, but you do need to look for it.

It's hard for people in the US to get exposed to Canadian music - I don't think
murder or cinnamon toast or sonic unyon or whatever get decent distribution down
here. I never would have heard Sloan if they hadn't been on Geffen and the guy in
the local store played them for me. MuchMusic is invading the US, I know a lot of
people who've heard Sloan through that. But can't get the record.

> My God, why wasn't The Jam bigger?  I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Why weren't Husker Du or the Replacements bigger? The Jam were pretty big in
England, at least, but the 'mats and Huskers barely made it beyond the 'punk' or
whatever it is audience. Hell, they never had a shot at it. At least Sloan has a
legitimate chance at being huge in the States.

The bottom line is: most people, no matter where you are, are pretty lame. I think
the key is to build some sort of community out of common interest or whatever. The
'alternative' scene doesn't have the same sense of community the old 'punk' scene
had. I miss it, too. I miss the 'us vs. them' feeling I used to have -- maybe I
got old and became a 'them'.

I dunno. I'm rambling. Why doesn't someone talk about some Canadian music? What
are the former members of the Hardship Post up to, anyhoo? I really liked
'somebody spoke'.

dale

"all reet!"
	-Cab Calloway