Re: Canadian content laws

>>>anywhere.  I once heard "Underwhelmed" on a radio station in
>>>Chicago.
>>Only once?! Yikes, in my gleeful ignorance thought it was hit
>>everywhere! Of course, the only alt-rock radio station in the
>>area at the time ("the area" being Detroit) was in Windsor...
>>I've since learned that 89X airplay does not equal US hit, but
>>I guess I hadn't thought that far back.
>
>This is one very good reason that I am glad to live in the Detroit area (though
>every winter I begin to question my sanity.)  89X is required to play a certain
>amount of Canadian music due to content laws.  I'm not sure what the percentage
>is but there is a major difference between 89X and 96.3 (the other so-called
>"alternative" station, which joined the club about 4 or 5 years after 89X.)

I'm told that by law the percentage is 30%, but 89X has a deal so they only
have to play 20%. I've heard that they're trying to get that rolled back to
10%, but I don't know if that's true. That would be too bad if it happens,
because 89X has had a _huge_ impact on my record collection -- including
Sloan, Eric's Trip, the Inbreds, and plenty of non-EC bands (yes, including
the M one!). The only Canadian music I've heard since moving south is
Alanis and Rush -- do they count?  ;-)   Actually, the food court at school
has a Pluto video in their jukebox...

I don't know if it has anything to do with this, but I noticed that Chart
magazine considers 89X (and the River, its "adult alternative" sister
station) to be in their own class when they publish playlists. And their
playlists are noticeably less Canadian than other stations.

Besides playing bad music, the DJs at 96.3 are just stupid. 89X and the
River actually have intelligent music fans for DJs (exept Millen, who
should implode).

alan