Re: The Beach Boys and the Sloan boys

>OK this is becoming tiresome.  Ours is not to dissassemble every single
>influence of Sloan down to which particular song of which particular group
>is being ripped off.  Although "Everything You've Done Wrong" may sound like
>The Beatles' "Eight Days a Week" it was reportedly inspired (as reported in
>the Impact interview) by none other than Chicago.  The point is, rock music
>is a limited medium, derived originally from the blues (I don't want to
>argue on that point, I realize there are millions of other influences) but
>there are only so many chords in one key and so many ways of arranging those
>chords.  Eventually, someone is going to write something that sounds like
>something else.
>        I am all for analysis of the Sloan genre and it's musical
>influences, but I think it's stretching it to say that "such and such a
>song" is the "something else by someone else" rip-off.  Sloan has always
>been original, give them that.
>
>ryan
>merkley\!/sentex.net

First of all, I don't think you want to plunge sloannet into another
ettiquette debate (this time going further into what aspects of sloan
should and should not be talked about - and over what period of time). I
think that this is a totally relevant topic to discuss here. And if you've
heard this topic discussed before - expect it to be discussed again as more
people subscribe. It's one of the downsides to mail-subs.

Second, I think you're contradicting your self a little there by saying
that there are only so many chords etc. and that songs will end up sounding
like other songs... then saying that sloan is original. Well, which one is
it? Are they original? Or are they sounding like someone else?

        dARRYl kOHUt
digital.images\!/sk.sympatico.ca

"And touching the scar on your back like a relief map" - Superfriendz