what's the blinker the star story?

I need some help here... I was trying to tell somebody what I knew about
Blinker The Star the other day, and I couldn't remember a damn thing about
them, except that they were from Montreal/Eastern-Ontario... I know there
was once a band in Montreal, and that it sort of broke up into Blinker The
Star and something else... but I don't remember who these other bands
were.. Anybody else know?  I know this band-familly tree stuff seems a bit
lame, and no doubt is an example of indie-snobishness, but right now it's
become one of those things that bug you until you find out.... like, I'm
actually losing sleep over this one!  thanks..

gord