Hercules/(Rome Plows)/SixToo/Avengers 7

    Well, last night I was looking forward to a great bill at
Birdland.  Hercules, Rome Plows and Avengers 7, among the most
talked about new bands in Haligon, and I'd not seen any of them yet.
I left only mildly disappointed.

    The crowd was abysmally small, even for a $3 Thursday gig.
Hercules held off until 11:20 hoping for more of an audience.  They
played well, I enjoyed Jim's picking, even when he only had 5
strings, but his vocals were unintelligible, which was a shame
because I'm sure he writes a lot of deep poetry.  Brendan really
towers over a drumkit.  Rod looked even grumpier than he sounds
online, and seemed thoroughly displeased with the soundman.

    The Rome Plows for whatever reason weren't there, so SixToo
filled the slot.  He got a good reaction from at least two people in
the crowd.  It would appear he parted ways with Hip Club Groove
because he's some sort of rap purist who "don't need no gimmick",
but when he complains in his raps about putting in years and getting
no breaks while others get the hit songs, it's not hard to see why.
Lots of "better than thou" monologue, little variety in backbeat
(despite great scratching last night by Stinkin' Rich, who I almost
didn't recognize with his cap down over his eyes and no goatee.  Too
bad he didn't take the mic.) little energy, and a stupid habit of
standing on a stool so his head was nearly in the ceiling, and
making lots of poses like he was a bowling trophy.  There are more
interesting rappers in this town.

    The Avengers 7 woke up the small crowd with their surf/lounge
act, complete with dress clothes, ties, and an introduction by the
maitre d'.  Catano drummed like only Catano can, Bill Louch laid
some groovy keyboards, and the guitarist picked away.  Like the
Shadowy Men, they prove that a good band doesn't need a vocalist.
They even did a pisstake of that silly Goblins track on Nardwuar's
Zit Rock compilation, with Mike and Bill fornicating with the guitar
and bass while the two frontmen played drums and keys.  Fun for the
whole family.

Andrew