uh-oh, not that topic again.

i can't believe i'm biting off on this, but anyways...

cori writes:

> Look I am not going to get into an argument about this but I want to make
> two points:

hee hee.  i guess that means i get to make two points too without this
technically becoming an "argument".  :-)

> 1) Which is better - an in-store in August and a show in Sept/Oct or nothing
> until Oct.?

hmm.  maybe i'm wrong here, and i think elizabeth will have to speak
for herself on this one, but i thought that she was assuming that it
was just an instore with no other show.  anyway, that's not one of my
points.  :-)

>  Some people are actually excited about getting to see their fave bands up
> close and personal like that.  They're much more intimate that club shows,

1) i personally would question that.  my experience is, at both american
and canadian clubs, is that it's much easier to meet people at small
indie-rock clubs.  i guess it depends on what you mean by "intimate".

> 2) This bitching about "corporate sellout" crap is tired.  Sloan is about
> the furthest thing from "corporate" that I can imagine. People are WAY too
> quick about jumping on that bandwagon.

2) i didn't see anyone calling sloan "corporate sellouts", did you?
but jetting into town to do what amounts to a publicity stop is only possible
through corporate largesse and only done by corporate-financed bands.
it's perfectly reasonable and rational to call that a "corporate" rather
than an "indie" thing to do.  how much you want to make of that is up
to the individual, i guess.

ok, those are my two points for cori.  but i have a point for dale
too, and it's this:  if indeed there exist some people who think
that a record's quality is solely dependent on whether it is "indie"
or "corporate", they would be no more ill-informed than people who
think that issue has nothing to do with it.  the "business arrangements"
(interesting choice of words) "behind" (interesting choice of spatial
metaphor) a record are influential on that final product at every level.

hugging my local mca rep today,
james :-)

     _James R. Covey <jrcovey\!/is.dal.ca>_    sloan net is a discussion of the
 ___| | ___   __ _ _ __      _ __   ___| |_  halifax / east coast music scene
/ __| |/ _ \ / _` | '_ \    | '_ \ / __| __| hosted by Bluenose Web - Halifax
\__ \ | |_| | |_| | | | |   | | | |  __| |_   http://bluenose.canadaweb.com
Zedd recordZ/daydream records po box 29057 hfx shopping centre hfx NS B3L 4T8