maritime/dance contest

fri night an allages dance contest/instruction session (the brave among
us learned to do"the swing" to the sweet sounds of the avengers7) was
held at the khyber in hfx...although my roommate & I missed johnny guitar
we did see the guitar/drum combo dusty sorbet(bob) & the 3 bunioneers
(benn)...1 onlooker remarked that they sounded a bit like the velvet
underground but it might have been the slide show (shant swore he saw
sloan in there somewhere)...the piggy guy (whose name always escapes me)
& his wife chicken sold cotton candy by the side of the stage...it was
avengers7 seventh show & it was groovy & exhuberant without being
cringingly campy b/c they all play so well....mmmmm...dreamy....
oh & today i saw great big sea (who do that "celtic rock" thing for which
we maritimers are so infamous;)...their stage patter is flawless...&
more EC content:i saw stan the man (who some of you may remember fr
cbc's switchback & long in the "where are they now file" of hfx
celebrities) lounging in a doorway across the st fr my apt, he gave me
that indignant "don't you know who I *am*?" look that I remember so well
fr his visit to our school in grade7...never did the host of a kids show
hate children so much)....................................kat

PS the only austrailian band I can think of that hasn't yet been
mentioned (I'm not even sure if they're still a going concern) is
Ripe, of the excellent live shows (with merge in hfx several yrs ago) &
terrible "plastic hassle"cd...oh and...aren't rick
springfield,helen reddy & olivia newton-john aussies as well:)