getting carded in Toronto/all-ages or licensed that is the question

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 00:14:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: heather cooper <heather\!/globalserve.on.ca>
To: sloannet\!/bluenose.canadaweb.com
Subject: Re: show dates

Riotgrrl wrote:

>Thrush Hermit with the Local Rabbits Aug. 17th \!/ The Rivoli ( i think this
>is the venue)
>Local Rabbits Aug. 30th \!/ the Ultrasound
>Plumtree, Local Rabbits, and Broken girl Aug.31st \!/ CNE

>Any word on any of these shows being all ages?  Sometimes the rivoli does
two shows, infact I've seen thrush hermit and local rabbits at this venue
last year together.

And another question:  When Jale plays toronto in August is that going to be
all ages?  (I really doubt this one)  And aren't they also playing the
x-club?  What about that show?

Can you tell I'm a desperate teen trying to go see a decent show?  I'm 18
and a half yet forced to see all the shows with the 15 year old alterna-kids
who use the evening more to show off their new kensington market duds than
to enjoy the music.  I don't even enjoy most of these shows anymore because
there's such an astonishing age gap.  I know that sounds really retarded but
it's the truth.
-------------------------
Hi Heather,

     From my experience, I get carded at many places(even though I'm 25) but
live venues have been pretty good for the most part. I haven't been card at
Ultrasound. I'm not sure if it is an east coast thing but they usually don't
have the door set up to collect ticket money early on in the evening so you
can usually walk right in and sit down. Later, someone from the band or a
friend of theirs goes around to the tables to collect money from people who
will be staying for the show. I've never noticed them checking id. I just saw
the Sappy show at the Ultrasound and Jule aka Broken Girl was going around
collecting money. She's so nice that she would probably let you stay even if
you were 15(just don't go getting her into trouble by drinking...it's the
least you could do for her, right?)
     I don't recall ever being carded at the Rivoli but I always have the
feeling I will. There is usually someone at the door selling tickets so forget
about sneaking in. And sure enough the person at the door will determine your
fate as whether you get to see a good band or you go home crying to your
mommy.;)
     Ok I got a little off topic there but for the record I think the
Ultrasound show won't be all-ages but the Rivoli could be. But why take my
word. In a couple of weeks the Eye and Now magazines will have the lowdown
on all those shows as to whether they are all-ages or not.
        I'm assuming the Plumtree, Broken Girl, Local Rabbits show at the CNE
will either be a bandshell performance or the smaller stage. It's the CNE. It
should be all-ages. Don't be surprised if you see little kids running around.
     The Jale show will be at Lee's Palace and I don't believe it will be all-
ages. Jale's last show at Lee's Palace wasn't. Lee's is usually strict about
checking id so I'd forget about even trying to get in without proper id.

Mike[(just think, heather...you only have another 6 months till your 19 and
     then bye-bye all-ages shows...as for now, go to the CNE and ride the
     merry-go-round little girl(I'm just joking!)]  :)