Re: rotate this/t-shirt

>on june 15 Chris wrote:
>>i'm more into making things more complex now, straying away from 5th 3-string
>chords that are neither minor nor major... i'd rather just add the third and
>give it some more.... PIZZAZZZ
>
>okay, um, in case you haven't noticed, most of the posts on sloan.net are in
>ENGLISH.  seriously, though, what does all that stuff mean?  I'm a moron and I
>haven't a clue.  Do you think you could explain it in a way I might
>understand?  It would be a good learning experience for me.

I'm not exactly a fantastic guitarist or anything, but I'll give this a shot:

A chord is made up of a sequence of notes that sound good together.
Depending on the chord in question, various notes are assigned a number
and, based on these numbers, a guitarist can predict what kind of effect
he/she will get in playing certain combinations of notes (i.e., it ain't
the notes themselves that matter, it's their relationship to one another).
A 1-3-5 chord is a major chord, which is the base upon which most pop music
is built. BUT, many guitarists find the 5th note boring, so they substitute
for it or remove it altogether in order to get a more interesting effect.
What Chris Murphy is saying is that when he's playing on only three strings
(a three note chord can be played on all 6 strings), he drops the 5th
because it makes the chord more interesting.

A lot of grunge and metal bands go the other way around and drop the 3rd
instead of the 5th. The Breeders use tons of 1-5 chords, and that's how
they get that sort of thudding effect.

Hope that helps in some way...

alan