News Items

Two interesting tidbits from page 42(!) of the Sunday Daily News:

SLOAN'S THIRD IS GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY TOO!

    Advance copies of Sloan's much-anticipated third album - One
Chord To Another - are now making the rounds to music critics and
radio stations across the country, paving the way for the June 12
general release.
    The dozen new songs will be music to the ears of all those Twice
Removed fans out there: smart, Bluenosey Brit-pop that's bound to
whip Sloanmania back up to fever pitch this summer.
    And beyond the music itself, One Chord To Another will likely be
a mini-boon for the local music economy.  First off, it was cut
almost entirely in Halifax's Idea of East Studios (in other words,
the band's recording budget wasn't spent on foreign soil).
    More significantly, however, One Chord is owned entirely by
Sloan's label, Murderecords.  Because both Twice Removed and Smeared
legally belong to David Geffen's DGC label, the band and their label
have seen precious little of those records' proceeds.
    With their latest record, on the other hand, the band members are
counting on most of the gravy for themselves and for Murder.
    "It's not like we're going to get filthy rich because of this,
but at the end of the day we'll probably be earning about four times
as much as we did (from) the other records," says Jay Ferguson, who
handles most of the band's day-to-day Murder dealings.
    And what are they planning to do with the anticipated profits?
    We're not going to go ballistic signing new bands or anything,"
Ferguson says.  "With the Superfriendz and the Local Rabbits and our
record, I think we've got a pretty strong roster right now.  We just
want to make sure we're taking care of the people we're already
working with."

--Andy Pedersen

HIP HOP FESTIVAL

    Some of Haltown's hottest hip hop posses will be in the house -
and outside of it - on Thurs. June 6 and Fri. June 7 at the Cafe Ole
on Barrington Street.
    Hip Club Groove, Witchdoc Jo Run and Papa Grand are but a few of
the performers who will take part in Freestyle Quarters.
    The Thursday show starts at 8:30 pm, the Friday show at 9pm.
Tickets are $3.75.

-- someone who obviously doesn't understand hip hop or it's
terminology.

Andrew