even more Re: EC bands and social conscience.

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Groovy Goddess wrote:

> Being in a band does not make one obligated to speak up on social
> issues.  At least no more obligated than you or I.  Sure, better things
> could have been done with those condoms.  Why didn't you offer to collect
> the extra ones and take them to the next planned parenthood event?

I did.

We
> can't keep blaming other people because the world isn't perfect.

Look, when I go to a gig, I'm paying my $$ for the performance, and as a
"consumer purchasing a product", also as a "music fan listening to
music" if that sounds heartless, if I want to thoughtfully consider what I'm
swallowing instead of standing there glassy-eyed, then I have that right. For
me, going to gigs isn't about standing there passively, aimlessly nodding my
head to whatever the band/performer decides to do.
	Of course, I do blame myself for the world not being perfect,
though. You can't assume I like myself that much.

Talk to
> Greg Clark and see why he doesn't have more benefit shows, or collect
> food at the door if you really think Birdland is an appropriate forum for
> social issues to be raised.  If his answer doesn't suit you, then I look
> forward to seeing you grabbing the microphone from some *apathetic* band
> during their set and *enlightening* us all.

Um, does heckling stinkin' rich count? Did you mean to contradict your
earlier "don't blame" statement, or is was this last part sarcasm, and I
missed it?
			blame, blame, double blame,
					Heather