Date sent:      Wed, 8 May 1996 12:01:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:           Robot Boy <ed\!/bio02.bio.uottawa.ca>
To:             "Andrew P. Rodenhiser" <RODENHISER\!/chem1.chem.dal.ca>
Subject:        Re: "Pop" Music -- !!NEW THREAD!!! maybe, if anyone's interested

I don't think usage of the word pop has ever been out of style...honestly...
at least not to most of us who grew up listening to mid eighties power
pop, which then graduated to alterna pop, indie pop, and lately to just "pop".
I think it's interesting that you equate pop with top 40 stuff. This is
hardly surprising though. I think if you asked most mariah carey lovers
what kind of music they like, they would seldom say they like pop. I would
have agreed a while back, but really, people who have been following
bands like big star, and cheap trick, and people like mathew sweet and the
Posies have always refered to it as pop. Some people have always
qualified it as "power" pop. Which is kinda weird to me...I always thought
a band like Husker Du (more towards the tail end of their existance) were a
power pop band...in short...labels are labels...I think you're right in that
the original definition of pop was top 40, but then in the 60's guitar
based pop *was* top 40. Now anyone refering to that guitar vibe will
inevitably just say it's "pop". These are the same people who
differentiate between Mathew Sweet's pop, and Mariah Carey's Top 40 sound.
But labels are labels...I don't think it's trendy to say pop, it's just
that as you can see by usage of the label "brit pop", pop can be a very
flexible label. I agree with you though, that the label "pop" without any
qualifier is undoubtedly vague...I'd rather say "beatlesque pop" myself...or
whatever...if the british press had not unearthed brit pop, I bet noone would
be using the word pop as freely as it's being used now...but ask posies fans
(like shant) and you'll see that there is another school of thought out
there, which has been using the adjective pop much differently than the way
you see it...