Re: weirdness/unsubscribing

On  8 May 96 at 10:53, knotte\!/umich.edu wrote:

}Maybe I should spell it out if you haven't figured it out already,  but
}I think the beatles are extremely overrated.

I think the Beatles were extremely overrated in 1964.  However, once
they began to experiment with new styles and develop as a band, they
did some very creative work.  And you can't deny their influence on
almost every genre of "pop" music since.

}You need the help if you can only grasp the whole thing we know as
}Sloan to be nothing more than a 90's mirror of a 60's band.

So Sloan is more original than the Beatles?? :)

Why aren't they a mirror?  Four diverse, talented musicians in a
band which displays their separate influences.  Compare Underwhelmed
thematically to I wanna Hold your Hand. (Sloan's is much better
lyrically, but both bands made their initial break on similar love
songs)  Progression into different style with each album rather than
self repetition.  All we need now is 10000 teenage girls screaming
at the airport.

They're at least a pocket mirror, maybe with a bit of rouge.

Andrew

PS but then, I'm a chemist, not a music historian, so what do I know.