"Pop" Music -- !!NEW THREAD!!! maybe, if anyone's interested

On  8 May 96 at 10:28, psavage\!/toronto.cbc.ca wrote:

}Odds could only hope to string together a song that could match anything
}Matthew Sweet has written.  All pop should be as beautiful as the songs on
}"Girlfriend".

OK, you folks toss around this word "pop" like it's a good thing.  I
thought that "pop" music was whatever is currently appealing to the
masses, as opposed to being a definable genre of musical style.  So
when you folks say that Sloan or TH or the SFz or whoever have a
nice "pop" feel, what the \!/%#$ do you mean?  Define "pop" as a
musical style rather than simply anything on the Billboard 100.

I always equated pop with Top 40 radio, as something to be avoided.
Why do you indie-rock types suddenly embrace it?

Andrew