Sloanish stuffaroonies

Before you read further, there's a new version of the tab faq (sloan) which
I'm mailing to the ftp guy.. If you want it sooner or don't have ftp access,
e-mail me, and I'll get one to ya. Also, I forget where I saw it but I saw
this one picture of Jay ferguson
talking on a telephone awhile back, and the murderecords symbol above him had
"sloan" instead of "m's" or crows or whatever, Come to think of it, it was in
"in the meantime" (very good). where was this pic taken from?

Here's my collection of unftpized sloan article dealies,
I dunno how to upload when viewing ftp thru www, so upload 'em if you can,
All that I ask is that you please try and figure out a way to get ris of that
annoying forward header crap.. Tho I could be ignorant and that's neccesary
upon uploading. Ah, I am stupid. Here they are.

Snatched from the september 1994 issue of Chart magazine, written by Paul
Kelly. -Adam

        They were the ones who put Halifax on the musical map and became
Canada's hip alternative grunge representatives in the post-Nirvana age.
They signed a six album deal to the multinational David Geffen Company (DGC)
after being together for less than a year and having played just a handful
of gigs outside their hometown.  When I wrote about them over two years ago
in these pages (July 1992 issue which I don't have), they were just being
touted as the next big thing.
        Well, they survived the kiss of death, and lived to put out album
number two, and, by the sound of it, their integrity survived, too: _Twice
Removed_ is not _Smeared_ II.  The guitars have been turned down, and the
band members have all gone off and written their own songs, lending four
individual voices to the album.  The result is a varied collection that
explores the pop continuum from all angles.  According to Sloan, whom I
interviewd recently in Toronto, the record company had little say in how
_Twice Removed_ turned out.
        "I think they were surprized that the record didn't turn out to be a
more logical continuation from _Smeared_." says guitarist, Patrick Pentland.

"There wasn't any pressure, like someone calling and saying 'Hey! Turn up
the guitars!'.  But I'd be lying to say that they wern't surprized by what
came out in the end.  We tried to keep as much control over things as
possible.  I wouldn't say that not recording in L.A. was a conscious
decision to stay away from the label, but if we'd been in L.A. there would
have been people from the label coming down all the time, and that would've
been a bit of a drag."
        So the bubble burst and grunge got bleached out of "Bubblegrunge".
Instead of "The Archies" writ loud, which, let's face it, is what some of
_Smeared_ sounded like, we have twelve songs of pure, grown-up, capital-P
Pop; a smart move in a musical era of volume saturation on one hand and "The
studied innocence" of current American indie-pop on the other.  "In a way,
the record is a bit reactionary", acknnowledges Patrick.  "It's nice to do
something different."
        On _Twice Removed_, the melodic sugar-coatings hide the bitter pill
of experience.  Says Patrick: "I think a lot of the songs on the record are
a result of two and a half years of touring, where you kind of wake up, and
realize that you're not always happy; you're generally more depressed or
whatever.  I think it's more realistic in terms of reflecting the kind of
people that we are... Because we all write differently, and we wanted to
incorperate the fact that we've all got different styles.  To try to direct
it to a grunge sound, or this sound, or that sound, is doubly impossible,
because somebody in the band wouldn't want to do that with their song.  It
was a much more satisfying experience for me to record this record than the
last one, because we all got control of our own songs."
        The band cringes when I mention their previous marketing image.
Explains Patrick: "I think in our bio there was something about bubblegum...
wait, no it was in those ads: bubblegum sugar-fix-coated-whatever."  "One of
those things that we have no control over," explains bassist/vocalist Chris
Murphy.  He illustrates in a Monster truck rally voice: "A screeching fix of
sugary guitar poop! You won't be underwhelmed! Buy their new album...
[laughs]". Continues Jay Ferguson: "I'm tired of the whole really sugary,
cuddly, innocent thing."  Chimes in drummer, Andrew Scott: "Yeah, I really
hate that whole cute label we've been hit with."
        We're dealing with a slightly older, but much wiser Sloan.  It shows
in their demeanor.  They have that cool, "Been there/done that" manner
characteristic of many musicians who've achieved reasonable success working
for the man.  Their rock-star air even got me a little nervous and excited,
like some gushing fan club member.  These aren't the bright-eyed kids I saw
when I interviewed Jay and Andrew two years ago on the eve of signing big.
Back then, the question on everybody's minds was: "Are these guys making the
right decision?"
        "Maybe it happened a bit fast, but I don't think it hurt us," says
the self-assured Andrew.  "We made a lot of mistakes, but we've learned a
lot, too, just through touring and meeting a bunch of different bands and
talking to them about their labels or whatever, and we have our own record
label [Murderecords], too, which we're running."
        Murderecords is Sloan's insurance policy.  Like good entrepreneurs,
the band is reinvesting their knowledge and money into something that they
can control and build on their own.  So far, the label's roster includes
Hardship Post, Eric's Trip, Thrush Hermit, and Al Tuck, among others.
        According to Chris, because of Murder, the band can see the angle
from both sides of the fence: "I empathize with Geffen sometimes, because
they're hanging their money out the window, and they want to know what we're
up to, and we're reluctant to do things for their sake.  Having our own
label isn't just for that, though.  I think it makes us more fair.  In
Halifax and the East Coast, our manager has a good understanding of legal
language, and some record labels have been down to talk to other bands, like
Thrush Hermit, Eric's Trip, Hardship Post, and Jale.  I don't think any of
them are going to get ripped off, because we have enough reources in the
legal department.  Our manager's the only person who really understands all
that contractual crap; otherwise a lot of us would be in trouble."
        If anything, Murder leaves them with jobs should Geffen decide not to

renew Sloan's contract.  The band hopes there's a mass market for the
intelligent, effusive pop of _Twice Removed_, but if there isn't, the band
doesn't seem too worried.  Explains Chris: "This could be the last Geffen
record if either they don't like it, or it doesn't sell well, which..."
"Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we weren't on Geffen because we
now have the resources to put out our own records," says Andrew, finishing
off his sentance.
        Continues Chris: "That's one of the reasons for Murder.  We could
make twice as much money putting out records ourselves.  You only have to
sell about an eigth as many.  We're pretty happy with Geffen, they've been
really good to us, but we also don't really have any fear of the future.
We'd be fine by ourselves."
        The idea here isn't to express pessimism regarding the band's
prospects on a major label, but to show that their dedication to music is
founded upon more than a big advance.  Sloan's hearts are still in their
job.  Let's cheer them through phase two.
Subj:	chris&patrick live on muchmusic