Sloan & Jale

Sloan were Sassy's Feb. 93's cute band alert! Here's what it said:

"Sloan (above) is from that latest hotbed of co-opting, Halifax, Nova
Scotia. Currently being colonized by Sub Pop, Nova Scotia has a happening
music scene including lots os short-haired girl bands. It's the Olympia of
Canada. (You heard it here first.) I get my information from Joyce Linehan,
czarina of retail promotions at Sub Pop. Anyway, Sloan is the leader of that
scene, and look how cute! Their little haircuts just kill me. I want to pat
their tiny heads. Not to mention that their Geffen release _Smeared_ is an
uplifting melange of melodic yet noisy guitar pop that leaves all of that
dissonant grunge behind. Let those testosterone-laden grungesters rule the
runways of Perry Ellis and the pages of Vogue, while we all move to the
greener pastures of Halifax."

And, Jale were July 94's cute band alert. Here's what it said:

"Mike first saw jale in February 1993 when he was hanging in Nova Scotia at
some convention of music scenesters. He told me I would love them, and when
I saw them a few months later at CBGB's I was quite pleased. First of all,
jale are four cute girls with immpecable dress sense. Second, they can sing
and harmonize and everything, although at CB's I noticed a heavy dependence
on reverb. Jale's sound is very pretty and poppy, with distorted guitar to
keep them from sounding like Wilson Phillips. Their first album,
_dreamcake_, is being released by Sub Pop this month. I noticed that their
music has become less bouncy in the time since I saw them live, and I would
say that is a move in the right direction."

Later,
Nat