Eric's T-rip-off (copyright Karen 1996)

The Eric's Trip/Orange Glass/Strawberry show in PEI is cancelled.

This brings up a thing that really gets on my, and a lot of people in
PEI's, nerves.  A lot of people always complain about bands not going
here or there or whatever.  If you want to live somewhere where bands
never go, move here.

Has anyone on the east coast ever noticed how everyone's tours end in
Halifax?  Well, I have.  I mean, PEI gets overlooked by a lot of
bands that the kids here want to see.  Let's use Eric's Trip for
example.  They have played here a grand total of one time for an
awestriking 3 songs....oh boy.  Using another EC band for drawing
comparisons, look at Thrush Hermit.  They have been here like 3
times, and they live further away than Eric's Trip.  THe last time
they came here they drove for like 4 or 5 hours in the middle of
December with no friggin heater in their bus.  I think I can respect
a band that is willing to do that before I can respect one who asks
for a show, has the booking agent bend a rule (ie having a ban on all
ages and then getting it all ages) to get them here, and then saying
they don't want to come because their drummer "just doesn't feel like
it".  Sorry that doesn't cut it with me.

Anyone who was here in the ECMAs remember the no cases?  well, we got
in a pile of shit because we were given permission by one of the
people we answer to to have all ages...but the other people decided a
week before the show that they weren't in to having kids there
anymore...we got threatened with law-suits for false advertising, and
we lost a lot of our credibility.  This Eric's Trip show isn't going
to help.  We just lost funding.  We needed a really good PR event.
This was it.   This would have helped us ease into a year with no
money.  Our credibility is shot once again.  Every kid in
Charlottetown knows about this show and now we have to do damage
control. I, for one, am pissed off.  Merch Girl is too.  So are a
lot of people.

Little Orton Hoggett is playing on the 26th.  they were booked before
Eric's Trip and they will be playing.  That, in my eyes, is the sign
of a good band.  That's a band I would book again (pending liking the
show...but I'm sure they'll be great) Eric's Trip is one I would not.

Note to bands:  if you want to keep the respect of the general
public, don't request a show or accept a proposal for a show and then
back out a week before the show.  It really irks people.  And it's a
really quick way to burn your bridges.

Melissa
(and vicariously, Karen, la fille de Merch)