Re: My final word (if you've developed a distaste for me, please don't read...)

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, geneyus wrote:

> This is bound to get under people's skin, but it will be my last public
> defence of my personality.  Many of you have branded me an asshole, and
> asked me "politely" to leave.  I really can't heed this request.  I can,
> however, comply with people's wished not to read a "flame war" (really not
> my intention in the first place) in the group.  An apology is in order for
> the last post as I didn't intend for it to go public.  Just forgot to take
> the address out of the CC.  Hopefully after this post we can lay this thing
> to rest.  I'm as tired writing about myself as you probably are of hearing
> it.  So here goes nothing...

I honestly have to applaud this post. really i do.  it's like this is
what it comes to when we finally realize the limits of this kind of
technonogy, this form of communication.  When someone attempts sarcasm (i
know this from experience) it doesn't work, when someone tries to sound
like they're NOT putting someone down it doesn't work.  A happy face...
an ironic remark, a sarcastic jolt all goes blindly past the average
sloan net reader, not unlike myself, who is just skimming through daily
messages and attempting to find something interesting to them..that they
can respond to.  We all post to soon on some topics, before we've had
time to think things over and IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! an
explanation is all that's needed. >

> I'd like to make this point clear.  I'm not looking to change people's point
> of view.  I'm not going for the conversion.  I know that is an
> impossibility.  You ask why it's necessary to challenge people, well, it
> really isn't.  Unless of course said person is spreading an ignorant point
> of view.  The original poster had much to say about Asians in Rock, but
> didn't realize the racial putdown's contained within ("is it something about
> us that is uncool, or unhip and we just can't groove?").  I know that part
> of assimilation with western civilization means wanting to fit in.  Putting
> down your own race doesn't accomplish that.

> I'm not a time bomb.  People probably picture me sitting in a dark basement
> somewhere concocting my master plan for world domination with my Cardboard
> cut-out friends.  I'm not the Unabomber, much less the SloanNet bomber.  I
> think the sarcasm of my first posts were missed.  All of a sudden I get tons
> of mail blasting me for being an asshole.  After my first post someone got
> so upset that he unsubscribed.  God, you'd think I'd have to say something
> truly horrific to accomplish that.  Needless to say, I didn't.  What I said
> shouldn't have been life altering.  So who's offbalance in this situation?
> I sent this person an e-mail asking him why he got so upset.  I apologized
> and asked him not to leave on my account.  He never got back to me.  I put
> the ball in his court and he just slammed it into the net.  From that point
> on lies the truly unfortunate part of this whole situation.  As I cruised
> through SloanNet, the role of asshole just came along for the ride.  I'm not
> really uncomfortable with it because I do stand behind the things I say, in
> fact, I'll do it again if the situation calls for it.  But believe me in
> most situations I can be very nice.
> How can you judge me based on a series of posts?  You definitely have more
> contact with this person from your class.  I think I've maybe had four or
> five posts to SloanNet.  Believe me, SloanNet doesn't encompass my life.  It
> just keeps me amused during the long day at work.
>
> And for those of you who think I simply want the last word, that isn't at
> all true.  If you want to blast me with more hate mail (some of the things
> I've read have been way more irrational than I've ever been...believe
> me...), please feel free.  Let's just do the civilized thing and keep it
> behind closed doors.  You bring the handcuffs, I'll take care of the whips.
>
> Admiration to the rest,
>
> Geneyus.

nicely written too!
Claire

P.S. Being a student of the science faculty has taught ME that
objectivity is hard to accomplish, and experimentation must be
reproductible... we're all in the primary phase of experimentation here,
let's just give it a chance...