Re: Black Hip Hop

Actually, the black population in all the province is about 30,000 folks,
of which about a third live in 'fax.  That doesn't hold a candle to
Toronto or Montreal, but it is a big population, especially considering how
most people of african decent ended up in Nova Scotia, as Loyalist
settlers after 1776, or as freed slaves, let go by the British in the
1830-1860 when the RN captured american slave ships, after the Empire
abolished slavery, rather then as (more) recent immigrants.  The (un)reasons
which create our virtual aparthied system in Nova Scotia have long deep and
distinct historical roots, which is why it is so hard to bring down.

Considering Universal Soul (an all black hip hop act) has played the
McInnis Room, several Green Rooms, and the Deuce at least once, I'm
suprised you indie rock dudes don't remember them more.  Contact David
Adekayode at the Black Music Project 425.2995 if you want to try and
build some bridges to the other underground community here in 'fax.

W.

  Waye Mason            : "We come prepared to give our lives and debate
                        :  the morality of parking on a crosswalk."
  P.O. Box 36082        :                            Abbie Hoffman, 1968
  Halifax, Nova Scotia  : No Records, No Talent, Ananda Foundation
  B3J 3S9               : cool page=http://www.isisnet.com/zuma/zuma.html