Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 15:21:13 -0400
From: Patrick Wilkins <palwilki\!/undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: Michael Damian Catano <mcatano\!/is.dal.ca>
Subject: Re: 5" (was: some things (Re: plumtree))

>8.  someone mentioned something about murder releasing a superfriendz 10"
>ep, and how it would be cool to do a lot of these.  well, that probably
>ain't going to happen, for the sole reason that 10"s are incredibly
>expensive to produce, and they don't seem to sell very well at all.  your
>unit cost is really high, because they are such A specialty item, plus
>finding bags and making covers eats up a lot of $$$.  but they are
>the coolest looking of all formats, except for those cute little 5" records.

A warning to labels thinking of producing 5"s:

Don't.

Many turntables in use these days have auto-return that brings the needle
back automatically at -- guess what -- 5 inches from the centre! Which means
that I picked up a 5" from the Red Aunts for review for the UW Imprint,
brought it home, and found out that I couldn't listen to it!

Fortunately the CKMS turntables are really ancient and don't have
auto-return, so I listened to it and taped it. But I will never buy a 5", no
matter how cute it is that they look like CDs. Why purchase something you'll
only be able to listen to on-air?

patrick
t43
Patrick Wilkins              Proud Survivor of Shad Valley Acadia 1994
Imprint Staff (UW's largest student newspaper!)
CKMS Radio Board and Staff (Beautiful Music for Ugly Children --
                      100% CanIndie, Sundays Midnite-Two AM 100.3 FM)
http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~palwilki/Beautiful_Music.html