Re: Sloan/et songs

On Fri, 12 Apr 1996 cklutz\!/buffnet.net wrote:

> but i don't want to guess. i would just love to see them play smother live.
> jumpin' screamin'.  lovely.  but it would be just as awesome when they would
> tone down to play "bells on" though.

you mean "tune down" to play bells on, don't you? last time i checked in
on our favorite band in practice, they were dropping down to a low Ab for
that one ... fuck!  that's some heavy heavy shit.  good thing jay bought
that PRS guitar, 'cause i don't think the neck on his thinline could
handle that kind of craziness.  i was helping patrick tweak his rack for
the upcoming tour and we came up with some really good sounds ..,
wait'll you hear "penpals"!!!  it's gonna be awesome - we totally scooped
out all of the mids from his eq, and then we ran the whole thing through
this AMAZING a.r.t. compressor that really cleaned up the whole thing.
we slapped a nice gate and a bit of slapback delay on it, filled it out
with some good digital plate reverb and WOAH!  that sound kicks ass.  his
MESA/boogie never sounded so sweet... also, does wnyone know where to get
replacement parts for a hartke systems bass cab?  when chris and i were
jamming together the other day we bi-amped his hartke through this eden
beast that was kicking around the practice space, and it was pretty
monstrous ... it hurt my tummy.  you should see the size of chris'
forarms these days, wow, all of those fast palm mutes are really starting
to build up his strength.  i think the metal pick eally adds a lot to the
sound.

ok - i've got a question:  should jay put his tubeworks preamp before or
after his compressor in his rack?  i really like the way it sounds
before, and so doeas jay, but every once n a while a note will slip
through the compresor's range and it'll be totally over amplified!  and
when you put it after the preamp it kind of dries out the sound.  it
totally looses hat great "warm" and "punchy" sound.  i talked to my
friend albini and he agreed, he's got the same problem!  (oh yeah, chris
murphy: steve say thanks for the tip on the kubicki bass. he's really
happy with it, watch out for it on the new shellac record).

also: any drummers out there have any suggestions on how andrew should go
for his new tour kit? maple 5-ply shells are good enough for the studio,
but they don't cut through enough live.  i suggested 20-ply ultra-thin
birch with high tension lugs and a nice suspension mounting system.  i
set him up with my friend from pork pie percussion who just prepping hreb
alexander's kit for the new primus tour.  i think sndrew's gonna be
stoked.  he might even get ed "big daddy" roth to do a custom flame job
on them.  that[d be sweet.  andrew's been working really hard on his
open-arm technique, so he's moved onto a symmetrical setup to facilitate
the more linear grooves he wants to drop.  i hear he's been studying with
steve gadd, and that he's really learned a lot.  i think he even learned
how to pull off the groove from "50 ways to leave your lover," so sloan
might cover it on the new tour.

hey BIG NEWS!!!!!!!  jay and pat both landed deals to endorse dean
markley cryogenically frozen strings!  awesome!  they are so set up now ...

mc