Re: be gentle

	Unfortunately for all, the stereotype about women being "just"
the bass player in bands continues unabated.  Touring Ontario, there are
countless times in my own experience when, because I play in a band with
a woman, and we both carry in amps of aproxamatly equal size, I am asked
as a matter of course to do the soundcheck for the guitar because I'm the
boy with the amp.
	But seriously, on the talent and inspiration tip, tons of bass
players are about as exciting as wallpaper, which isn't to say they
aren't talented, but rather unexceptional.  Maybe some of you don't
notice the boring guys playing exactly what's expected of them, but
you're more liable to notice a woman playing poorly 'cuz you still see
her as the exception on stage, and think she has to work twice as hard to
be able to play with the boys.  That subtle sexist attitude sucks maybe
more than overt sexism because it's harder to recognise and talk about.
	Excellent bass players who happen to be women: Leslie Langston on
the first three Throwing Muses records, Joyce from Scarce, Rachel Melas,
Kira of Black Flag and Dos, the players in Live Skull, Rat at Rat R,
Pixies, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Plum Tree, Raincoats, Au Pairs,
and Jale to name a few.
	And REALLY, would the world be a better place with more Les
Claypools of any gender?  Seriously, if WIGGIDA WIDDLY WIGGADA WACK WACK
extremely fast is your idea of good bass paying, then there's a whole
other topic for discussion.
	Yeah, Chris Murphy is a cool bass player because he grooves in an
understated way on record; as for live, I havn't always been sure that
paying bass is really what he's interested in most, and I'm sure that
it's his songwriting, not his bass playing, that earns him a place in
many people's record collections.  If he didn't sing, I'm not sure we'd
discuss his playing .
				Low-end Cheers, Lukas

                        -------- cyberletterhead--------