Re: hardship post rule/birdland sucks

On Sat, 30 Mar 1996, James R. Covey wrote:

re: the show last night:
*rome plows*
	-far more introverted than their last two hfx engagements, the
boys suffered from a myriad of soundman related problems (probabl due to
the fact that thp showed up an hour late for their soundcheck and denied
rome plows the oportunity to do one) but overcxame them with style and
pinache.  the only band that can get away with an 8min. opening number.
nbotably absent from the set were "thanks to the blues explosion" and
"i'm breakin' my back" (if that is indeed what they are called), but new
songs made up for it. less intense than before, but more loose and
atmospheric (longer jams, more dynamics) - an off show by there accounts,
but on the relative scale of halifax, a bad show still puts the
contenders to bed.  speaking of whihc, up next were ...

*supervillian*
	-any band that does novelty 1980's cover songs deserves to be
summarily punished.  apparantly supervillians punishment was showing
everyone at the birdland how completely awful they were.  they fit nicely
in to that thee suddens cleveland steamer niche that has been carved out
of the birdland.  i left.  if you like crap you might've enjoyed it.

*the new hardship post*
	-seb and the sunshine balls band were up last, and it was my
first post-matt-clarke-gets-the-boot hardship post show.  i was
pleasantly suprised, although the music was really innapropriate to the
venue.  this band has changed alot, as everyone has heard, so i won't go
intop it.  one should, however, note, that they couldn't even half fill
the birdland on a friday night.  and this band is on subpop, who can't be
too pleased.  the minimalist feel is nice, and i'm psyched to hear their
new album, but i hope they find a new audience, because it would appear
that hey have lost their old one.

> this town really really needs a *smaller* bar
> where people can go to *hear the band* and
> where the music is *over* before we all fall
> asleep.  this situation is driving me crazy.
> i'm kind of hoping that when birdland moves
> - they find a smaller home
> - they revert to a tavern license and have to
>   close at 2am.

rumour has it that the birdland is moving to ye olde paramount space.
this move will provide the birdland with not one, but two spaces to hold
shows.  one about the size of the current birdland, and one about the
size of the old deuce.  this means that when big bands play, they can
open up the big room and it will be comfortable, but they won't be stuck
with a massive space on every night, so smaller bands will be able to pay
to capacity crowds a lot less difficulty.  it should be cool, if it happens.

mc