laura b. in _tally_ #4

hey i've been reading issue #4 of heather harkin's always wonderful zine
called _tally_ and in addition to cool interviews with nerdy girl's cecil
and mike from snailhouse/wooden stars, there's a good long conversation
with laura borealis of crappo 2. since several people have asked about
laura's books and all that cause of what they read in the smeared liner
notes, i thought i would post a section of this interview. and i would
encourage you to order this cool zine, write to heather
(hharkins\!/is.dal.ca) for information.

anyway, here we go:

heather: Some people who asked me to interview you thought that you were
strictly an author, from what they'd seen in Sloan liner notes.

laura: I try to do as much as possible. In high school, I was a dancer
and a choreographer. My main thing is trying to do everything. If it
seems like I haven't done art in a while, it's because I've been doing
film, or something else. It is kind of ironic that Chris (Murphy from
sloan) put that stuff in his liner notes, because he never read any of
those things. Median strip was a line that they used for one of their
songs, and I think he just liked the way it sounded. There were little
subtle things, when I was seeing Chris, like, they'd wear my clothes in
their television interview, or he would take pictures I took and used
them. I had to beat him over the head, "You've got to credit me, or pay
me or something," and then he really resented that and he wrote a song
about it: "Shame, shame." When we were dating, all ears were open to him.
All kinds of media. I was really interested in what he was going through,
because I could see for myself that I was going to want to take that
route someday."

anyway, trust me, it's a cool zine and it's got tonnes of great
addresses, lots of information, and makes ya think, too.

tara

--
"Marmalade...marmalade,
 Tell me a story, help me forget I'm gone,