CIMN

I will make a short post today, and follow up with the full story
tomorrow in a longer post.  I hope the post will be reproduced in the
NCRA newsletter and that any national magazines or newpapers which are
following this story will actually contact Melissa or myself and cover it
in the next issue or so... but for now, as I am real tired, I will just
say two short things...

First, I am so incredible proud of the volunteers at CIMN.  15 minutes
after the Student Union cut the money off, the volunteers were back
meeting at the Barn talking about possibilities.  They were dignified,
reasonable, and fuck brilliant in the meeting, and if there was any
justice or the student union was better run, then they would be FM RIGHT
NOW, not getting the funding cut.  I'm honoured to be able to help out
these totally wonderful folks.

Second, the SU at UPEI is so poorly managed that they haven't registered
an updated copy of their constitution with the attorny generals office
since 1985 (tho they hav "changed it" 5 times since then).  They have no
archives to speak of, and what they do have on record they ignore when
not compatible with shutting down the station...  they offered no
alternatives to cutting all funding, ignoring 25 years of history of
radio at the university and the Student Unions commitment, in writing,
made last year by unanimous vote of their own council, to fund going FM.
I couldn't believe it...  I met briefly with the president of UPEI and I
think she wouldbe prepared to support direct funding by te University to
the station, referendum approved....  I will be providing more
information about this and asking for your support...

Mostly tho, I am very disturbed that the small minded neo-cons at the
UPEI student Union may, through their actions, act to convince the CRTC,
through either direct communication, or simply through the stupidity of
their actions, that a license such as CIMNs is not practical.  Remember,
CIMN has a license allowing them to go FM without a station manager on
full time, as an experiment... and if the UPEI SU does this they may
consider the experiment failed...

Full report tomorrow...

W.

 Waye Mason             : "The shooting goes well.  I borrow a .357
                        : Magnum and fire a hot slug into the forehead
  aa551\!/ccn.cs.dal.ca   : of a life sized stuffed Barney.  This brings
  P.O. Box 36082        : peace upon me.
  Halifax, Nova Scotia  :
  B3J 3S9               : Kumbaya, motherfucker."