Re: Archers Strike Back

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Johnny Appleseed wrote:

> If that is the case, Oblivious Lad, where are all the great Manitoban and
> flatlands bands?  Maybe ^I'M^ just an oblivious lad, maybe you can show me
> I'm wrong.

	OK, I don't know what your point is, here. I was criticizing
Brendan for whining about bands not coming in to Halifax - Halifax, widely
known as Canada's music Mecca - and saying that maybe he should grow up
and learn to live with what he's got, which is PLENTY. Sloan, jale, Thrush
Hermit, the Super Friendz, the State Champs, the New Hardship Post, etc,
etc. And those are just bands I've heard - never mind all those I only
know by name.
	So your initial response puzzles me. What do you mean? I would be
glad to let you in on Winnipeg's music scene - which, incidentally, I
think kicks Halifax's, and everywhere else's, ass. You want good "Prairie"
music? I offer you (in no particular order) Cheerleader, B'ehl, the
Bonaduces, Transonic, Mincer Ray, Swim, Conrad, eLLiot, Duotang, Kittens,
Skingerbreadman, Grand Theft Canoe, any spinoff of Banned From Atlantis,
Bucko!, Propagandhi, Painted Thin, I Spy, the Umpires, Hush Feed, Farm
Fresh, Buick 6, Red Fisher and at least a half a dozen others I can't
think of right now. Winnipeg is producing amazing music right now, I'll be
the _first_ to tell you.

> In a sense, I totally agree with Brendan.  It seems as though some promoters
> think the world is flat, and that to go any farther than *Lower Canada*
> means they will fall off.  I would ask "why?"  Maybe if we show more support
> for those great bands that we would love to see come this far east, the
> promoters might do something and maybe the bands would come out this way.  I
> would love to see the Archers, Superchunk, Nothing Painted Blue, I would
> have loved to see GbV when they played in Montreal (I think) not so long ago
> (I believe).  They don't come out to the Atlantic Provinces because they
> don't know we exist.  Stand up in the field of fans and wave!  Somebody
> might see you.  Somebody might ask if you need any help.  Somebody might be
> able to provide what you're looking for, and I think we all know what that is...

	Guess what...I know that promoters ignore the Maritimes.  Guess
why...because they ignore the Prairies, too. I also ask why. I know that
there's support here. Every time I mail order records, I politely ask them
to send their bands through. You think I _don't_ want the Archers,
Superchunk, NPB, GbV, GvsB, etc, etc, to play Winnipeg? Wrong! I would
love nothing more. Most of them play in Minneapolis, a mere eight-hour
drive away, but I can't really take 2 days off school or a weekend off
from work to go see a band. But guess what the reality is. Bands play
Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto. If people in larger cities near those
three are lucky, _maybe_ the bands go there as well. The Prairies and the
Maritimes are just too much of a money-losing proposition for the majority
of bands - or that's the way they look at it. I will never stop trying to
convince them otherwise.

	In a sense, I also agree with Brendan. But as for pitying Halifax,
I have three words for you: Halifax Pop Explosion. If something that
amazing went on in Winnipeg, I'd thank my lucky stars, and I sure as
_hell_ wouldn't bitch.

	Matt

"I watch them both with my telescope.
 I'm watching both her hands on a bottle of Coke.
 And her medic alert tag says she's okay,
 just allergic to peanuts, so she'd better stay away."
	- The Bonaduces, "Really Powerful Telescope"