Re: political shit...

At 3:36 PM 3/2/96, Jonathan Dacey wrote:
> a zillion "jay is the cutest member of
>sloan"

Of course he's not.  It's CM!

or theres a bunch of guys strutting their indy rock poly sci cred
>and flaming each other....

Margie Borschke
M.A., '92(Political philosophy)
B.A., '91 (Political Science)

Aw, but I'm skirting the issue with silly jokes.  There is nothing wrong
with the whole pop politics discussion and if anyone manages to eek out an
original thought on the subject than we're all the better for it.

While I made mention of the fact that there is definately a strain of pop
music that is political, in particular the sexual politics that comeout of
a lot of girl bands or the racial politics of hip hop, these are identity
based politics and this is an interesting fact. Pop music tends to revel in
questions of identity and alienation mostly because music is a really good
way to get at those feelings and sentiments.  Not all such questions of
identity are explicitly political nor should they be.  But to say that
music needn't be poltical isn't very interesting.  The original question
was why pop music (in particular punk/indie rock) had retreated from the
political arena.  I won't go as far as to say that apoliticism is a
political stance-- that's just too easy. But I can't say that I have an
answer to the question apart from the fact that the overtly political bands
of years past became so annoying that many didn't want to bother, that
meta-politics became unfashionable (ie alienation became too real and
personal issues were pushed to the forefront), that we've
embraced/succumbed to (depending on your perspective) perpetual adolecence
(ie rock music is like group fucking therapy), that irony makes earnestness
difficult, that we all just broke up with someone/were overcome by lust
after seeing the boy/girl across the bar and nothing else matters, that we
woke up and felt kinda shitty blah, blah, blah.  Its hard to analyse a
moment when we're in it, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Margie Borschke
margie\!/echonyc.com
mborschk\!/reach.com
212-673-8267