Re: More Music, More Politics.

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, CHRW Programme/Music Director wrote:

>         1) Trobridge has it right on- the people in charge think in terms
> of politics, so unless you want to get buried under that sand you have your
> head in, wake up. The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that
> Good People do nothing.

if you think that in this day and age the tired, infantile, naive
world-view that punk=good and gov't=bad holds ANY credibility at all you
are sadly mistaken.  the idea that all people in positions of authority
are evil and corrupt is a fairly useless starting point for accomplishing
anything. what happens when you overthrow the current regime?  you either
become the power-holders yourself, and by your own definition become
corrupt, or you launch yourselves headlong into anarchy, which i doubt
will be anything at all like "shopping".

>         2) MDC said 'I just want Indie-Rock !!!!" Yeah, candy ass, there's
> this thing called 'Bread and Circuses" it was all the Roman overclass felt
> that they had to provide thier slaves to keep them happy. Which makes me
> ask where you get your bread.

are you talking about me, or the band?  i get my bread from the ben's
bakery thrift store, or mary's bread basket.  for the record;)

>         3) I'm not looking for every song by every artist to be a polemic,
> or fact filled, or to take sa stand; there's a place for emotion and
> feeling. But, when Dylan met the Beatles, he asked them, quite rightly,
> "You have the whole world listening, and all you can say is "I wanna hold
> your hand ?"

this idea is patently ridiculous.  why on earth should we expect artists
who become popular without any sort of political agenda to suddenly adopt
one when they have the ability to "reach" people?  this kind of
soapboxing comes off as completely manipulative and no one listens!  it
happened in the 80's when all of a sudden we were supposed to give a fuck
what bono thinks about this and that.  maybe, just maybe, four art-school
dropout goofs from liverpool don't actually have anything to contribute
to the world of politics.

remember - dylan became a pitiful parody of himself when he got old, fat
and rich.  plus - he was political from day one, and he had trouble
seeming sincere all tihe time.

>         4) Phil Ochs put out work that mattered and wound up killing
> himself; The Weavers Got Blacklisted for 15 years; Brenda Khan put out an
> astonishingly aware album, Goldfish Don't Talk Back, before getting
> swallowed and spat out by Sony/Chaos....and Alanis, nothing to say Alanis,
> Splits the writing with a suitably older man Alanis, Little Puppet Girl,
> gets 4 Grammy awards for turning Rage into a pasteurized tidy commodity.
>
>         5) Catano sez :"that the populist trend is not towards cynicism or
> to skepticism, but to a holehearted avoindance of political matters..."
> Well, I don't call that holehearted, I call it holeheaded. Saying you'll
> avoid politics is saying like you have a note that excuses you from
> gravity.

you've just proven my point.  i said that most people don't think about
politics.  most people tend to avoid political issues and discussion.
look at the grammy's or any reader's poll from any mainstream magazine
and you'll see it - we, as a culture, are completely uninterested in
matters current and political.  the epitomy of mass-culture art is
freinds and babe - both of which are essentially politically vacant.

yes, you're right, you can't avoid politics by not paying attention to
them, but that is precisely my point.  if enough people are acting or
thinking thew same way it is politically important.  look at sloan net,
for example.  the fact is, out of 200, only about 5 or 6 are actually
contributing to this thread, and god knows how many are just hitting
delete without reading anything.  the fact that you and i and a few
others are contributing goes to show that we are not among the general
majority who are not interested.

>         6) The Revolution will not be televised. It won't be on Seven-inch
> either. The Revolution will not be formatted for Netscape 1.1, or available
> on CBC Realtime. But I think it's coming. And anyone who thinks that being
> "Apolitical" offers immunity is gonna find out how wrong they are.
> "Against The Grain"

this is the lamest thing i have ever heard in my life.  i am sitting here
laughing my ass off, because this is so ridiculous on so many levels.
firstly, your silly ranting has all the potency of a stoned out grade 11
schmuck in a coffee house thinking about hoe the man is trying to keep
him down.  secondly, we live in a media controlled world.  of course the
revolution is going to be televised, and of sourse it is going to be
on-line, and it always has been and always will be on 7" record.  if not,
where is it going to come from?  is the revolution going to magically
spring forth from you ass?  is it just going to spring up out f a puddle
somewhere?  no, of course not!  like james said, music is one of the few
unifying forces in a world that is increasingly isolating to the
individual, as is television and the internet.  as we as individuals
become more and more different, our common activities become the great
meeting place for the sharing of ideas.  trust me, the revolution, if and
when it happens, will come via the media.

you've got to use the forces and channels that exist already in order to
make any lasting change.  you've got to change things from the inside
out, instea of trying to tear everything apart from the outside, because
face it, if you can't get work from the inside, you'r never going to work
at all.  trying to be a radical and hardcore and shit like that proves
nothing, and serves no purpose except to get you branded as a radical and
have no one pay any attention to you at all.  all major forces of
political reform from mandela to ghandi have been indiviuals who worked
their way up inside of a system and changed from the inside.

mc