Re: sloanpolitik

Two short points, lucky for all you readers I am really pressed for time
today.. :)

a)  punk was like a cool breeze on a steamy southern day, James.  Imagine
hearing any NYC hardcore or British punk a la Sex Pistols in the day and
age of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Abba, the Eagles, and disco...  and I
don't think that effective and moving political messages have to be
particularly wordy, "God Save The Queen" being a good example, BUT then
again, the Clash were quite wordy, but due to the nature of his accent and
the production values, its rather hard to tell... :)

b)  I think Mike started to go somewhere in his talk about "cause-rock"
but went off in another tangent.  I think one of the reasons its "out of
style" to be political is the skill with which the "man" ie: the
corporate music machine managed to manufacture "political" and "rebel"
statement/songs in teh last 10 years... its heard to seperate the wheat
from the chaff, when you got everyone from Sting to Bon Jovi all talking
about the politics of the day... also, I think the enviromental movement
of the late 80s and early 90s had an almost unprecidented cross over in
to every day society, with everyone eager to at least being seen to being
a part of the "movement."  As with any successful venture, there is
the inevitable backlash....  When a tree falls in the forest, indeed.

I mean, after punk and all that came, what, Cindy Lauper and the mid 80s
2nd golden age of pop music!  Hegel was right, life is cycles.

W.

 Waye Mason             : "The shooting goes well.  I borrow a .357
                        : Magnum and fire a hot slug into the forehead
  aa551\!/ccn.cs.dal.ca   : of a life sized stuffed Barney.  This brings
  P.O. Box 36082        : peace upon me.
  Halifax, Nova Scotia  :
  B3J 3S9               : Kumbaya, motherfucker."