Re: sloanpolitik

to chris and per:

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Per L}ngstr|m wrote:

> to express the point i tried to make..
>
> On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Michael Damian Catano wrote:
>
> > anyhoo, it's an interesting
> > debate. i think the key is to accept/remember that passivity and
> > apoliticism is just as "political" as dynamism and conviction.
>
> political passivity is not as "political" as conviction i am afraid. the
> people in power don't take much notice to you if you just keep being
> passive. they just think you silently agree and are happy with that as
> that's what keeps them in power.

i agree totally that "apoliticism" is a very nice excuse to hide behind
for your average disinterested 20-something.  it's an effectivce way to
get nothing done and not feel all that guilty about it in our present
political environment.

my point wasn't that apoliticism or whatever is a valid social/political
stance in our day, but rather that it is the politics of the average
person, and when (here comes the cliche) when ten percent of the people
control ninety percent of the wealth, it doesn't take a genius to see
that the average person is not really in the loop.

also, i was talking about the aesthetic appreciation and analysis of
music, not governmental policy-making.  what i was trying to get across
was that while artists may not have an obvious political slant to their
music, it doesn't mean tat they are politically empty.  it's apples and
oranges.

i'm not advocating mass apathy as an effective means of political reform,
quite the contrary - the onyl wasy to get things done is to do them.  i
personally don't agree with the politics of "apoliticism," but it seems
like it is a really huge trend in the general populace, and one that
should be taken seriously.

mc