Re: poumons & politics (with no connection to sloan whatsoever)

nice discussion going on here. feeling that i just don't know english
well enough to fully participate i still would like to comment on this
thing "apoliticism".

because, i too believe that "apoliticism" is indeed is "a political
stance". there is a cause behind not being "political" by, for example,
not voting at an election. it doesn't matter if it's because you are too
lazy to get out of bed or you just don't want to vote because you don't
agree with what you are to vote for. it can be a yes/no referendum or a
ordinary political election of some sort. if you do not vote you are just
a part of the "notvoters" no matter if you know everything there's to
know about politics or don't care at all.

the problem is that the politicians (sp?) of today don't look for a
reason why peope do not vote. because, to me, by not voting you are
making a statement just as big as you are when you are voting. no matter
why you don't vote, there's a reason behind it, and as long as people
keep being "apolitical" the politicians should take not and ask
themselves "why do X percent of the population not vote?". the problem of
people staying in bed instead of voting can be taken care of by letting
people to simply vote "blank". if you actually did get out of bed to vote
and then voted "blank" the politicians should really take note. you
voted, but didn't vote for any of the parties/persons that was available.
to me, it's like a "no" vote to the whole system or, at least, the
political parties involved in the election (ie. running the country).

apologies to all americans feeling offended, but this is such a obvious
problem with the united states. i've understood that to become the
president of the most powerful country in the world all you need is to do
is to get slighty more than 20 percent of the population to go out and vote
for you! this is the case because only about 40% of the total
american population vote and therefore, to reach majourity (sp?) all you
need is to get 21% of the pop. to actually place their votes for you!!

when i first heard about this (and it was from an american) i felt
frightened. the president-candidates probably want it to be this way,
because it's a lot more easy to get 21% of the pop. vote for you instead
of 51%..! it's just sickening and i, and some of my friends, are debating
this whether the word "democracy" works here or not.

but. what do i know about this anyway. i am sitting on the other side of
the atlantic and i am sure you all must know a lot more about this than i
do. maybe i am just stating the obvious or simply talking shit. what i
know though is that this post is far, far off from the discussion on
sloan and the ec scene. what i wanted to do was to say that by being
"apolitical" doesn't mean you don't care. instead you might want a change,
but it's not like the people in power are going to realize that you don't
want them and fire themselves. maybe one should become active "apolitcal"?

i believe democracy is in great need of an update. it has been the way it
is for far too long and there is no room for not wanting what is offered.

it's almost like before nirvana.

.per