in which they were hidden." - Fahrenheit 451    SIX by NINE=FORTY-TWO

Fans From Hell - http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/~ac768/Profile.html

The Daily News Worldwide
Sunday, February 18, 1996

Catherine Stockhausen,
queen of the Pop Pics
By ANDY PEDERSEN --

If you've seen a photo of any of the city's corps of young pop bands, then
you've probably seen a photo taken by Catherine Stockhausen. The
23-year-old NSCAD graduate has practically cornered the rock shot market.

And it happened, she says, almost by accident. "In the first year at
NSCAD they don't care what you shoot, as long as
you're shooting at least four rolls a week. So you end up shooting whatever
it is you're doing anyway," she says. "It happened really easily - I was
working at CKDU and hanging out a lot at the Flamingo (lounge), so I knew a
lot of these musicians and bands.

"They're what I ended up taking pictures of."
Sloan, Thrush Hermit, Hip Club Groove, the SuperFriendz, Hardship Post,
jale, Bubaiskull (now Coyote), Stinkin' Rich and Plumtree, Rebecca West,
Eric's Trip, the Monoxides, and Thee Suddens - they've all been caught
inside the viewfinder of Stockhausen's Nikon.

And the photos she's taken of these bands have gone far afield, ending up
in the pages of Billboard, Alternative Press, Request, Puncture, Cake,
Impact, Chart, Exclaim, Vox, Now, Eye, ID, The Coast and The Daily News.

Stockhausen's niche has been undoubtedly fruitful. But ironically, she was
reluctant to let on to her art school classmates what she was up to.

"When I was going through NSCAD I never once used band photos for my
displays," she says. "I was even hesitant to tell people that's what I was
shooting - it seemed to be thought of as commercial or trivial or not
particularly creative.

"But since I've graduated, pretty much every shot I've taken has been for
a job," she says. "I rarely take pictures without a purpose. I don't want
to say 'for fun' because I enjoy these shots. It's what I like to shoot."

At first, the bulk of Stockhausen's photographs were taken while the band
played live. It was an exciting, raw way to capture the action, but its
charm proved short-lived.

"I'm pretty sick of shooting bands playing live - there's just not that
much more I can do crushed into the stage by a bunch of fans," she says.

Now Stockhausen is more interested in set-up shots with the band members
posing, or candid shots of the rockers doing what they do when they're not
rocking.

"The shots I got at Edgefest (a Toronto rock festival) this summer are
some of my favorites and there's not one band-on-stage in the bunch," she
says, smiling. "It's just such a great document of the kinds of things that
go on backstage and out in the audience."

She's hesitant to talk too much about this, but thoughts of a picture book
are certainly brewing in the back of her mind. Stockhausen's also been
thinking about design.

Although she's taken thousands of photographs over the past few years, not
many have actually earned her money. The music scene may be vibrant, but
it's definitely not rich.

"I get complainy about it sometimes - but I know it's not really their
fault," she says. "They don't have any money to give me."

So she's back at NSCAD taking some design classes - Stockhausen's hoping
to design record covers and tour posters for the bands she's now
photographing.

The Halifax native also finds herself confronted by geography. She doesn't
want to, but she may have to leave town to earn a living.

"I've got a real location problem; I think about it all the time. Being
here right now is perfect timing, but if it dies down then I'll probably
have to leave."

Doing more commerically oriented photography is simply out of the
question. For Stockhausen, it's music or nothing.

"I've no interest in doing wedding photos or baby photos or anything like
that," she says, almost sneering. "There's just so much stress ... imagine
if your wedding shots didn't turn out ...."

---
"It was a pleasure to burn.                        Adam Rodenhiser
The system was simple. Everyone understood it.   ac768\!/ccn.cs.dal.ca
Books were for burning... along with the houses      dWIGHT  fRY