ECMA review

ECMAs were not quiet what I expected, and have changed and grow
considerably since the last time I attended the thang in 'fax three years
ago...

On the positive side, the actual industry stuff, the seminars, showcases,
and schoooooooooooozing all go on from Thursday thru to Saturday... then
the rap up, award show and schmooozing on Sunday.  What was good was that
the Canadian pop/rock/alterative types still showed up, this being year 4
P.S. (post sloan) and they actually had a good time and had bands to see...

THe No Cases were good, all things considered... the PA was inadequate for
the size of the room, but apparently ALL the PA stuff on the Island was
engaged at the actual ECMA's and other showcases...

Hot tickets, from my point of view, had to be the Monoxides and the
virtually all New Brunswick show at the No Case on Friday, the All Ages
with Humfat, Witchdoctor and Flexman, and the Grace Babies at the
MacKenzie theatre on Saturday, the Dave Carmichael Band, followed by
Strawberry followed by the Nova Scotia Mass Choir on Saturday night...
and unfortunately, the Cool Blue Halo and Superfriendz closing out the No
Cases at the Barn at EXACTLY the same time as Strawberry and NS Mass
Choir played...

Apparently, the nice folks of PEI, who I realised after the all ages with
flexman have, like, virtually no rhythm at all, were out dancing up a
storm to the mass choir...  the Ballroom at the CP hotel (the main venue
for ECMAs) was packed to the rafters, its bigger then the McInnis room at
dal, I'd guess 1200 people standing room...  the nice folks of PEI were
*dancing celtic jigs* to the choir... jeeze...

The CBH/friendz show had like practically every Canadian rep for
alt/pop/rock in rapt attendence...  lots o A&R and some publishing...

I have to say that the industry conference side was actually worthwhile
for me this year, despite what I said in my last anti-ecma rant...
however, Colin MacKenzie was point out how stupid it was that all the
reps in the frigging world were at the poor sounding echoy barn watching
two of the hottest properties on the island this weekend, begging the
question, WHY WERN"T THEY AT AN OFFICAL ECMA ORGANIZED SHOWCASE...

Other crappy things included the $10.00 per head ticket price for the all
ages shows at the MacKenzie, leading me to point out to the theatre
manager that half the price would have had 3 times the crowd (the
MacKenzie was lucky to see 50-100 actual kids at any time) and thus more
money in total would have been made to cover the cost of the space (union
wages for the mandatory 12 staff at $12 an hour means you need to fill
the place with like 600 people to cover ALL the costs).

I also went and saw the Booming Airplanes show at the Arts Guild on
Saturday, and have to say that while they are great musicians, and Ruth
has a great voice, they do nothing for me at all...

The Sunday all ages at Myron's was baked, really lame, it cost $10 to get
in and the sound was really bad... the Madhat show was not too good, all
you could hear was drums, and the boys were a little hung over... though
the biggest drag was they had to go on stage and play while there were
still more kids in line outside then in the club... Kudzus set was a bit
better...  Thee Suddens got the kids moving, tho they do nothing for me
at all either...  at that point I had to leave and try and fix my cars
windshield wipers for the drive home... :)  Tho I saw the end of the NEW
hardship post set, and I have to wonder, are all there songs slow songs?
I want my sugarcane coming to me... baby...

FUNNIEST MOMENT OF THE ECMAs...

Chris Murphy is sitting in the bar of the CP hotel at a table in intense
conversation with Gene, A&R for BMG...  I've got my back to them and am
talking with Greg Guy and Tim Arsenault about the days seminars... and
they start laughing and trying not to loose it... I slowly turn around
and see that TRACY HOOPER has installed her self at teh table like she
somehow belonged there... Tracy is the CRAZY woman who ran HOOPERTOWN
records and Symantics Management and tried to turn the Deuce into a prog
rock capital after Greg and Jackie left.. she is one of the fine folks
who brought us "Dorian, the Rock Opera".  Greg was astounded that she had
the guts, and that Chris didn't out and out tell her to go away, she
dangerously insane and everyone avoids her at all costs... we didn't see
how Chris resolved it because we all got up and ran away incase she saw
us and came over to talk to us instead... :)

All in all, a fun weekend, thought the awards show sound really bit, and
they
need to work on the overall execution of the show, it still seems pretty
bushleague when you watch it on TV...

W.

 Waye Mason             : "The shooting goes well.  I borrow a .357
                        : Magnum and fire a hot slug into the forehead
  aa551\!/ccn.cs.dal.ca   : of a life sized stuffed Barney.  This brings
  P.O. Box 36082        : peace upon me.
  Halifax, Nova Scotia  :
  B3J 3S9               : Kumbaya, motherfucker."