really funny old hardship post review

hey,

i was reading ("deciphering") an old issue (october 95) of raygun
magazine and happened to notice this short review about our beloved
hardship post. made me grin. made me insert my own [rather snarky in my
oh so superior to the americans ;) sort of way] comments a lot.

hardship post
somebody spoke
subpop

"put this magazine down and go get an atlas or a globe or something.
okay, now find new york. go straight up, and you'll see maine and new
brunswick, which is across the border in canada. to the right [right?] is an
island called nova scotia [an ISLAND? why didn't somebody tell me? i
don't want to live on god forsaken island!!] and on the east edge of that
island is a place called halifax [um...isn't that really where cape
breton is?? god, i'm so confused]. circle it; it's the next seattle.
don't laugh, pal. subpop's already got three halifax bands: jale, eric's
trip [ummm...] and my favorite, hardship post.

this is not grunge, phase II, however. these guys are canadian [she got
that one right]. instead of screaming about how miserable they are,
they're more likely to make a joke about it, something about riding to
town on a garbage truck, maybe. instead of bitter breakup songs, they'll
write a pretty love song like "your sunshine", hoping maybe if they're
really nice, she'll come back. and instead of those big messy guitar
things, hardship post will play punky [i read this as plunky the first
time] pop songs until their fingers fall off. unless it's a ballad, of
course, or until they think up something else to play, like the super
slinky "capability". if that one doesn't get you moving - or at least
smiling - you might want to see if you still have a pulse.

so now you know about halifax (other keywords: sloan, sarah mclachlan).
you can be the first kid on your block to run out and buy this record,
and the first one to tell all your friends about it. it won't be a secret
anymore, but i can live with that."

probably copyrighted by karen woods, raygun magazine.

maybe she was thinking of prince edward island, i don't know! maybe she
was looking at one of those pre-cambrian atlases. :)

tara
--
"It's a really hopeless feeling sometimes when you want to go home. You're
even further away, you're not even getting closer to home. You're travelling