Re: canadian artists goin global

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Jeff MacGregor wrote:

> hey,
>
> there was an article in the local paper here in cornwall ont. about new
> canadian artists hittin it big globally.  in the article, they talked about
> eric's trip, hardship post, jale, treble charger and hayden as bands who are
> receiving some nice global exposure thanks to their big name american record
> labels.  i didn't realized that these bands were getting so big
> internationally...

yes, well, from my, european, point of view the sub pop bands *have* got
some media exposure. jale took the uk by storm a few years back (did some
touring and even played the reading festival). hardship post was given a
lot of press by both melody maker and nme early last fall, but well, as
the band made some changes they never got the chance to come over to tour
and whatever. eric's trip are well known among the sebadoh/archers/"lo-fi"
fans. they toured the uk around _love tara_ but apparently the money they
made was stolen so it was like they would never be able to afford to come
back. which really sucks if you ask me.

about treble charger and hayden i haven't heard anything about them. i was
told that treble charger (or sonic unyon more like it) were going to make
their releases available here, but i am not sure if they are still going
for it. and i have no idea how they would do. the uk is probably too much
brit pop for majority of the unyon bands, but maybe on the continent
(germany maybe?) those harder rocking bands (like shallow) would fit in
better. i don't know. the band with the best chance to get some exposure
by mm nme would probably be treble charger though, but maybe they sound a
little bit too much boo radleys around '91 or something..

.per

ps.	hmm, now i remember reading something in nme/mm on the inbreds when
	they came over with buffalo tom a couple of months back. they
	reviewed a new cd ep and i believe they got a good review.. i don't
	know which song from kombinator was on it though, either #3 or #4..