Re: the thrown thing

On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Andrew P. Rodenhiser wrote:

> Are there any good underage bands in Halifax?  For that matter, are
> there any underage Haligonians on Sloannet?  If not, why not?  There
> are enough underagers on the list who live elsewhere.  There are
> enough underagers in Halifax who like indie rock.

there are no really good underage indie rock bands in hafx, as far as
know, a lot of really bad punk bands, a few really good punk bands, and
not a whole lot more.  i think some of madhat are still underage, so do
they count?  most of plumtree are underage.  i'm barely of age.

i don;t think thathere are many underagers who like indie rock.  there
are a lot who like punk rock, but indie rock seems to be an old fart
thing.  if you can't get more than forty people or so out to a
superfriendz/jale all ages show for 4 dollars, it's probably an
indication of something - especially if there are like 100 kids at a
bonerz show next door.

grown ups don't want to go to all ages shows 'coz they can't drink, kids
don't want to go see grown up bands 'coz they have no connection to
them.  plumtree and thrush hermit were the last indie rock bands with any
all-ages crossover appeal in hfx because they were young people who were
popular with other young eople, but now skate rock and drunkpunk are so
big that the junior high kids are only interested in that, so they have
no real interest in being the next dinosaur or lemonheads (which is what
was cool when i was in high school oh those many years ago).

> When's a good night at Cafe Ole?

any night you want to feel out of place.

> Does St. Pat's ever have gigs anymore?  Those Envirogigs years back
> were some of my fondest memories of alternarock in Haligon.

to the best of my knowledge, no.

mc