[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: some shit...
- From: Michael Damian Catano <mcatano\!/is.dal.ca>
- Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 01:43:57 -0400 (AST)
1) messages that say "this thread sucks" but offer no alternatives are
crap. if you have nothing constructive to offer, don't whine. it's
simply unbecoming. you know who you are, stop wasting my time.
2) sloan net lurkers, mucheasters, misunderstood pranksters, and
all-around debonaire swingers len are doing a RealTime session. I have
never heard this radio show, but it seems to be a sloan net fave, so i
thought you might be interested. apparantly, resaletime are playing some
len rarity this saturday, fans be forewarned, detractors be prepared.
3) i guess that every year the same arguments about the ECMAs pop up, you
know, about how they don't represent the "alternative" community
properly, or whatever, and how they're a sham, but my angle is, hey, look
at the friggin' grammys, junos, casbys, oscars, or any other industry
award ceremony. how on earth does a so-called "alternative" act justify
seeking accolades from te very industry it presents itself as an
alternative to? OF COURSE the ECMAs are going to a misrepresentation of
the non-mainstream community and let's be thankful for it, it's a bunch
of movers and shakers judging a scene they have no understanding of or
connection to. colin mackenzie's efforts this year are beyond
commendable, but i find myself asking "what's the point?" why bother
seeking validation from a bunch of people who don't care about your
scene? what is the need to judge "who's best" or whatever, i mean, wow,
who really cares - i thought it was about community. so in the words of
the mighty kids in the hall: "screw you taxpayer!"
4) deryl, matt et al., sloan net is not the forum for you to air the
dirty laundry of your personal life. try to show some judgement.
5) chris t., yan r. and margie b. win props for coolest sloan net
denizens of the week. is there an award for that at the ECMAs?
6) the motes are back in action, they have apparantly recorded the beds
for about nine or ten new songs, they are working on putting it all
together. jon hut reports that it has a "mellower, folkier, country feel
like a six-pack of bud and a menthol cigarette." rumour has it that jon
is going to start up a new project referred to as "the jon hut band" for
now. for a taste of his lunacy outside of the motes, check out one of
his two official ant releases, or the freakish "i am terror" from the
classic "watering hole frequency" ant comp. ant records can be reached
7) rumour has it that gordon isnor is out of hiding and is playing in
early february at bob and lori's on gottigen with chris murphy and matt
grimson (sp?) in a little acoustic show. state champion kenny gretz may
also appear, if he's feeling better.
8) if your band name, album title, or song names contain the words
"sugar" "candy" "super" or "star," chances are you're from ontario and
you suck. but that's just me...
9) i like len.
10) anyone know when the new pie record comes out or where i can order it
from? does anyone know who carries top hat records? i think that
they're from new york, but pie are from boston ... help! pa luv, mon.