Re: simple question...

Once again, the maritime,  newf and general Canadian mentality comes to
the fore, and this year, as every year, a whole lot of people are
screaming "They didn't book the good bands, they only booked
'fax/muder/crappy/sappy bands"  They fucked up the nominations, they
jimmied the awards.

Ladies and gentlemen,  THEY is US.

Anyone who is in a band has to APPLY to get a SHOWCASE or even a NOCASE.
If your in a band, you've got to get off your butt, be a member of the
Music Industry Assn. of NS (or local equiv), spend the big $15.00 and
join the ECM Assn., be informed and be involved.  That is, if you care
enough about the ECMAs to bother!

I personally think the ECMAs are a bunch of horseshit and that despite an
increasing amount of attention paid by cool and hardworking folks (Colin
MacKenzie being alternative martyr #1 for the ECMA cause this year),
well  I think no matter how much work we put in the ECMAs are always
going to eb backwater, provincial, boring and not totally representative.

Also, the voting pool for ECMA is the membership, which last time I
checked was between 150-200 people, despite colin et all trying to sign
up everyone on in the Cin/Murder collective.  So that means yer
alternative voters are from Cin/Murder, and the rest are "trad" or celtic
types.  Guess what, that means Superfriendz are a lock on the alternative
award, because the celtic types will vote for the most country sound
band, every time.

But I really do think we all need to be aware that, just like Much East,
yer not going to qualify for showcases or awards if you don't have a CD
out nationally, and some kind of profile outside your home town.

Bottem line is, if you want to be in the ECMA family, get off yer tuckis
and join!  Or, be like me and go for the free beer....  I figure after
the Sloan fiasco of a few years back that the rest of the world doesn't
give two shits about ECMA anymore, or at least, the none trad/celtic world.

 Waye Mason             : "The shooting goes well.  I borrow a .357
                        : Magnum and fire a hot slug into the forhead
  aa551\!/ccn.cs.dal.ca   : of a life sized stuffed Barney.  This brings
  P.O. Box 36082        : peace upon me.
  Halifax, Nova Scotia  :
  B3J 3S9               : Kumbaya, motherfucker."