Re: Laurenmce

On Sat, 20 Jan 1996, colin mackenzie wrote:

> His studio is great not huge but just right. The only com[plaint I have
> heard is that his drum sound is at times too big.
the drum problem is more likely the result of bands coming in with no
idea of how they want their drums to sound.  they sort of say "whatever"
and then lordo goes with what he knows (which is full on rock).  if you,
like coyote did, give him a pile of cds to listen to and say "we like
this sound
that sound, that sound, etc." then he is good enough to achieve the
sounds you
want, or at least soudns that are reasonably close.  i think plumtree's
cassette
would be the best example of a band with no real idea of what they want to
sound like, and as a result you get a sort of random melange of
production on all the tracks, with no real cohesiveness to it.  the songs
are good but the production is really innapropriate for the most part.

because of this sort of problem occuring pretty frequently with young
indie rock bands, a sort of rep builds up that "laurence can't record
drums right," which is total crap.  it's just that people don't tend to
actually think about what they're doing before they record, and they're
not paying for a producer, so they end up with a record they're not happy
with. it's gotten to the point now whrere i've heard of bands recording
their drums on dinky cassette 4-tracks ahead of time and bringing them to
the studio to use as the drum tracks on their recordings.  not only is
this just in general a dumb idea, it's also pretty insulting.

whatever...
mc