Re: why Purple Blue sucks so badly

Purple Blue *doesn't* suck.  It's great!

I'm surprised no one has responded to this... no one else has the
album yet?

Before I get to slagging Cory, <g> I'll just give you my initial thoughts
on the album...

It's a great album... "Introduction into the..." is great... it would've
been nice if ET had released that song on a 7" (a la 'Notes From Stereo
Mountain') but it works fine as the album opener.

The only song that I don't really dig on the album is "Eyes Shut".
The guitars are really cool and tripped out up to that point in
the album, but on "Eyes Shut" it's just straight ahead power cords..
Julie sings that one.... I think that everytime I hear Julie sing on a
fast song I compare it to "Happens All The Time", which is pretty hard to
top. :)  It isn't really that bad of song... it just doesn't fit on the
album.

Mark's drumming is on par with their live shows... IMO the drums on
their previous albums aren't as good as the live shows, but they're loud
and fast on this album.

Chris's songs really shine on this album... I'm really looking forward to
buying his duhrivative cd. :)  "Alone And Annoyed" is the best Chris song
I've ever heard.  His voice has gotten tons better.

Julie's singing has also improved... except on "Eyes Shut" where it
sounds rushed and she is gasping for breath and stuff. :)  Maybe it's
supposed to be like that.  I'll shut up about that song. :)
Her portion of "Introduction Into The..." sounds like "Beautiful" from
_Dog Love Part 2_.. maybe it's the same song.. I haven't listened to Dog
Love for awhile.  Anyone?

Rick's songs have in no way decreased in quality!  If anything, it just
sounds like he's been smoking some funny cigarettes.  :)  "Spaceship"
definately doesn't sound like anything eric's trip has put out before.
It's a really good punk song, tho.  Some neat distorted vocals on that
song.  :)

Now here's Cory's message. <g>

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Cory J. Boehm wrote:

> Finally got Purple Blue and with the exception of a couple songs it sucks
> real bad, WAY wourse than Forever Again and doesn't even come close to
> the excellence of Love Tara.

How can you say that after only having it for one day?  A good album has
to grow on you.

> No I am not going to attribute it to Bob
> Weston being at the helm although that might be a factor, but Rick just
> isn't wrting the same caliber of songs anymore,

Which album are YOU listening to?

> Forever Again is one of
> my favorite songs and there is nothing that even comes close.

Well, that explains it...

> Chris has
> started to mature as a song writer and has really started to steal the
> spotlight from Rick,

I don't know about 'stealing the spotlight' as you put it, but I agree
that Chris' songs are of excellent quality on this album.

> matter of fact had I received the Moosokcet Sub Pop
> 7" before the end of 95 I would have placed it in a tie with best east
> coast ep for the yea well ahead of ETH's Forward to Snow.  There is only
> one song that really grabbed me and pulled me in and that is Soon Coming
> CLoser,

Do you only like Eric's Trip's slow stuff?

> the first time I heard Forever Again there were several songs
> that grabbed me.  Basically I am going to go WAY out on a limb and list
> Purple Blue as the biggest disaapointment of 96, yeh you heard right two
> weeks into the year and ...

You're going to regret saying that after you let the album grow on you.

Cheers,
Joel