more eric's trip

people expressed interest in my posting the following article taken from
toronto student publication _watch_ (jan. 96 issue).. for those in the TO
area, if u want to pick up a copy, it's available at many toronto high
schools for free or at some 241 pizza atores I believe.. wierd eh? anyway,
there is also a photo of the band.. here's the article:

"They're all real. I can really draw from real, sorta, bad feelings, and
stuff." A wry smile tugs the corners of Rick White's long, thin mouth.
He's tinkering with a tiny cork and paperclip figure. "I make up some
stories, but they usually just relate to a real person in a way that
symbolises that person. Weird stuff happens, it's just so.. I can only
write about personal things."
There is a compelling, fiery glint in his eyes; he doesn't blink much.
This is probably how he would confess to murder; he would make a cool
serial killer. "Uh, I'm not trying to be too deep, I guess." Probably a
good poker player, too, although there is the impression that he has never
played.
It's Novemeber, 1995. Backstage at Lee's Palace, with less than half an
hour to showtime, the quiet, unassuming, and reluctant leader of Eric's
Trip is happy to talk about all-ages shows (likes 'em), computers (hates
'em), Sloan (knows 'em and loves 'em), and his songs (lives 'em). He
discusses his fragmented lyrics on his own terms; when he is direct, he
does not say enough, and when he is indirect, he only encourages more
questions. The suspicion that the (usually) tortured characters in his
songs are - worse than "real" people - actual Eric's Trip members and
close friends of the band only becomes more sinister, and more upsetting
when Rick confirms the autobiography. Maybe it's also the way he can smile
as he talks about pain: "she came back to me/at least for awhile/she
brought with her some tests/she said as she smiled..." (Forever Again).
"Forever Again is about me, and falling in love with..." he pauses, grins,
then whispers the name of his (as of this summer) wife, "Tara." Another
pause; he is searching for the best way to express something unpleasant.
Time to confront the memories of his doomed relationship with Eric's Trip
bassist/vocalist Julie Doiron: "It was about the whole sort of changeover
[from Julie to Tara] affecting the circle of friends... It didn't end too
well." Forever, Again is the final track on the album of the same name; to
say that the album itself doesn't "end well" is only to say that it is
truly upsetting work.
But that was a year ago and more. Not only did Rick and Julie salvage
their friendship from the ruins of their failed love, Eric's Trip pulled
through too, and is releasing its latest SupPop gut-wrencher this month.
"The new record is going to be on, because we're all on our own things
now, so it's not as personal about things within our own heads and lives."
Rick and Julie seem distressingly proud to report on the happiness that
plagues their current lives; they don't seem worried by the fact that
uncharacteristic joy could have an adverse effect on their music. Any
concerns are assuaged asRick's nimble, nervous fingers decapitate
(accidentally?) the paperclip statue. Looks like all's right in Rick's
happy-sad world after all, and in Eric's Trip.

by the same guy who reviewed purple blue in the same issue..