eric's trip stuff

I just thought sum of u might be interested in the following article and
review (purple blue).. they're from Toronto student publication _Watch_
(jan 1996 issue).. I cannot believe I am actually gonna type this out for
u but here goes anyway (grumble, grumble ;))..

Review:
Eric's Trip
Purple Blue/SubPop

Champions of the nervous and defenders of the fidgety, the chronic youth
of Eric's Trip are back to remind you that Sloan only plays
spin-the-bottle: no one in that group ever got his heart trounced like
these guys. If Sloan is the better pop band, it's because Eric's Trip
isn't a pop band.
Music to mope by, or twiddle your thumbs to, whichever makes you more
comfortable (or less comfortbale). Makeshift and messy, sappy and sloppy,
coy but not cute; sure, sounds like all their other albums - except there
is development here. Purple Blue fine-tunes soundscapes previously
sculpted in Love, Tara and Foerver Again. Acoustic instrumentation all but
falls by the wayside this time out. The ever-murky bass of Julie Doiron
(may she never grow old, or, at the very least, may she never trim her
bangs) backing Rick White and Chris Thompson's never-grungier guitars
brings the band close to Melvins land, or Breeders ground. Emphasis, as
always, is on contrast shock; severe shifts from soft to loud are still
the staple of the sound. While it could not be an Eric's Trip album if it
wasn't drowning in personal angst lyrics, for the first ti ever they show
interest in the outside world. In fact, outerspace itself is the subject
of nonsensical gems like Universe and Spaceship Opening (which should have
been the album opening). Hyper-critcal self-examination remains the rule,
though, and the passive detachment of Rick and Julie's open-heart duet Now
A Friend places it amongst the coldest songs ever recorded.
Purple Blue is as much an evolution as it is a coming into their own.
Finally, the four members of this Moncton outfit have become snug as
snails in their shells. Don't let the lo-fi technique or the fondess for
tape hissfool you; the approach may seem experimental, but every one of
these 2 minute trips has been carefully planned. This album captures the
raw urgency and anti-pop sensibility of Sonic Youth's 1987 masterpiece,
Sister; considering that the Youth's Daydream Nation gave Eric's Trip
its name, this is to be as expected as it is to be commended. And
recommended.

okay, I changed my mind.. I did not enjoy typing that out :P
so I think I'll leave the article on ET for another day.. better yet, I'll
post it only if there is interest in it.let me know if there is..

P.S. btw, totally irrelevant to the post but I was wondering if any Toronto
area sloannetters out there know anything about Venus Cures All coming to
town.. I heard somewthing about this on brave new waves last night and it
was mentioned they would be at the Gas Station.. I have never heard of the
gas station, perhaps it was meant the Gas Works? I dunno.

.hl.