swedish reviews

Hey...
Someone asked me for this, but I can't remember who
it was... so I hope it'll interest all of you. If
it won't I'm terribly sorry for wasting space...

The reviews are from the three largest musical
magazines in Sweden: Sound Affects, Pop and Slitz.
If you'd ask me I'd say that Sound Affects is the
best (most possible to write about bands I like, that
is). It's also the smallest of them. Pop is kind of OK
too. Looks really good, long articles but rarely about
bands I like. Slitz sucks. I don't buy it anymore.
It's a music/fashion magazine, always a naked tit on
the cover, sort of. And never any articles about
interesting bands.

I haven't found any articles, sorry. I know that one
of the most wellknown fanzines had one about Sloan,
but I haven't got that issue.

Please, excuse my spelling and my grammar. And if
I've invented any new words or phrases - sorry...
English's not my main language, you know... You'll
hopefully get the point of the reviews anyway.

Well, I'm off to Greece for two weeks.

Take care,

Magnus

ps - has anyone got a sloandiscography they would like
to share with me? Please?

    **    ****  **  **  ****  **  **
    **   **  ** **  ** **   * **  **
    **   **  ** **  **   **    ****
    **   **  ** **  ** *   **   **
    ***** ****   ****   ****    **
   - letting people down since 1994 -
    ********************************
           lousy\!/everyday.se

* SWEDISH REVIEWS OF SLOANNET-RELATED BANDS *

SLOAN "Smeared"

3/5
"It's Halifax, Canada, that's going to be the next
musical-capital of the universe after Seattle, and
in the front of the bands we'll find Sloan. All
according to the english mags NME and Melody Maker.
 But you really could object against their choice
and it's total lack of originality. Sloan's yet
another guitarbased band like Superchunk/Pavement.
It's happy grunge with sympathic harmonies, and
it's all recycled. Sonic Youth, Lou Reed and
Pavement amongst others. But where are the promised
Beach Boys- and Birdsinfluences?
  One thing's clear: you can keep your flannelshirt
on."
Eva Kvanta, Slitz #2 apr-93

7/10
er... this one's a bit tough... the reviewer starts
with telling us how happy candy and candybags (is
that what it's called?) makes her, sort of...
"...To listen to "Smeared" makes me as happy as I
get with just thinking of Jellyfish's Andy Sturmer
and hearing him sing "New Mistake" < YESYESYES!!!
I love Jellyfish!!! This girl is cool!!! Sorry,
WAS... I don't think she's cool nowadays. What do
you think, Per? :) >
 Sloan from Nova Scotia, Canada, has mixed the best
of all the indiecandy and then turned it into a
record. It started in June 1992 with the "Peppermint
EP" and now it continues with "Smeared" on Geffen.
 In the candybag that's called "Raspberry" lies My
Bloody Valentine and Radiohead. In "I am the Cancer"
lies "Delaware" by Drop Nineteens. And "Two Seater"
probably thinks that Bubblegum Ride is very tasty. I
think is the sort of candy that crackles on your
tongue. Jay Ferguson acts Lou Reed in "Left of
Centre" which could've been named "Temptations
Inside Your Heart". The best of all the Sloan-candy
is "Take it in". Because it's a sweet that's sold by
Willy Wonka. It's a sweet that tastes like Jesus And
Mary Chain and changes color when you suck at it."
Linda Norrman, Pop #2 apr-93

ERIC'S TRIP "Songs About Chris"

4/5
This one is just too much for me... I don't even
understand it in Swedish, sort of... Well, the
reviewer mentions: Steve Albini (something about Rick
being the first ever to understand SA's genius),
eastern Canada, Michelle Shocked's "Campfire Tapes",
the Sonic Youth-song, Feelies (for the green sixty-
feeling), Ultra Vivid Scene (for the warpness <?>)
and a drugfree Butthole Surfers (for the fantasy).
"The six songs are miniature masterpieces painted
with a woodenstick on a piece of driftwood."  "Eric's
Trip really is something unique!" And he ends the
review with: "Sub Pop says they've found a *scene up
there*. One trembles."
Lars Aldman, Sound Affects #20 aug/sep-93

ERIC'S TRIP "Love Tara"

4/5
oh no... not him AGAIN!!! :) I'm skipping this one
too, ok? He goes on about the painting-stuff "painted
with colors without names, made out of ashes, blood
and candle-grease. One of the members seems to be
transparent." He mentions Fastbacks, Pixies, Neil
Young and Big Star in some kind of way. "music that
combines beauty, lust, restlessness, desire and
energy, without sounding like anything else. Well,
maybe. Like the pop version of Sonic Youth."
Lars Aldman, Sound Affects #22 jan/feb-94

JALE "Dreamcake"

7/10
"Jale is four women from Canada that knocks me down
with their simple americanised pop.
 And it should do well with those who likes the
Breeders, even though Jale don't have a "Cannonball".
The best thing about them is the beautifully
synchronized vocal harmonies. Not totally unlike Lush,
at the time when they still sounded fresh and
concentrated on the music instead of releaseparties.
 How fresh Jale is going to sound two years from now I
don't care about, because right now they've got a
sound that appeals to me.
 Jennifer, Alyson, Laura and Eve. Jale. Write that down
in your notebooks and computers. They're the best thing
from Canada since Ben Johnson."
Terry Ericsson, Pop #8 summer-94

3/5
"A canadian babe-quartett with a Sub Pop-recorddeal.
Riot-Grrrls? Nope, Jale plays indiepop with nice
noisy guitars and cool harmonies.
 It doesn't get any more complicated than that, but
if you want to look initiated you can always talk to
people about "the wildly hyped Halifax scene", where
Jale is supposed to be one of the bands.
 Anyone else but me that've missed that scene?"
Jens Stenberg, Slitz #5 sep-94

ERIC'S TRIP "Forever Again"

2½/5
"The second full-length from the canadian lowbudget-
quartett Eric's Trip isn't much different from it's
precursor. They write charming popmelodies that's
delivered with very simple means. Sometimes they
sound very fragile, and sometimes it's very noisy.
 On their earlier records the simple production
felt like something new, like something that brought
out the melodies, since there was nothing else there
to get the listeners attention.
 On "Forever Again" has time caught up with the band,
and there's others doing the same thing at least as
good."
Ingvar Johansson, Sound Affects #25 nov/dec-94

SLOAN "Twice Removed"

3/5
"The bastard sons of Beatles pops up here and there,
25-30 years after their days of glory. Sloan's "Twice
Removed" is like a small, cryptical reference book
about Beatles 1965-1967. The boys from Halifax could
probably beat Seattle's Posies < I love the Posies! >
in a popquiz about the Beatles greatest hits, that's
how good they are.
 The first track, "Penpals", is full of Ringo-drums,
George-melody and Paulish bass, the only thing
missing is the Lennon conscience. I don't mind,
because I think that two Georges, Jay and Patrick in
Sloan's case, always beats one John.
 And in that way they continue, putting small
historical references in rows at the same time as
they create a wonderful web of popharmonies. One has
to think really hard if one wants to catch all the
references. But it's all this refering to something
else that's Sloan's fall, you kind of start to wonder
if they don't have any other interests than advanced
analysing of the Beatles. It can't be that boring
even in Halifax, Canada. Or could it?
 Like I said, as a Beatles substitute Sloan's almost
world champions, but there are other popbands..."
Torbjorn Thorsen, Sound Affects #25 nov/dec-94